Sertus Insurance - Any problems?

Jack The Lad

Was just checking around for better deal on my car insurance. I own a 06 VW Passat 1.9 tdi comfortline, no penalty points, 6 years ncb. Wife named driver, similar stats.

FBD quoting €560 for fully comp.
Sertus quoting €361 for same!

I have to confess I've never heard of Sertus. Has anyone using them had any problems with them, for example when making a claim after an accident? Of course, not to be negative, good stories would be good to hear too!

Thanks.

I have never heard of them.

Is it being arranged through a broker or online?

Are they a Lloyd's syndicate?

Brendan

I was quoted through [broken link removed] but apparently they can be accessed through most Insurance Brokers.

They are based in Galway, and have an online presence at [broken link removed] where they write -

"Sertus Insurance is a new company, which entered the Irish personal lines insurance market in January 2004.
It initially focused on writing private motor business selling its products through a network of approximately two hundred Insurance Brokers spread throughout Ireland. Sertus Insurance has gained over 50,000 Policyholders since its launch and purposely targets low-risk business (e.g. no high performance vehicles and no inexperienced drivers)
As part of its growth initiative, Sertus Insurance launched a Household insurance product in December 2006. Similar to its private motor products, the Household product contains many attractive features that are not commonly available as standard in the market.
Its business is underwritten by the International Insurance Company of Hannover Limited (more commonly known as Inter Hannover), which is based in the UK. Inter Hannover is part of the huge HDI group of companies – whose head office is based in Germany. Among the many companies in the HDI group is Hannover Re, the fifth largest reinsurance company in the world.
Similar to many other Insurers, Inter Hannover is authorised to write business in Ireland under EU law on a freedom of services basis and, as with Sertus Insurance, it is authorised in Ireland by the Financial Regulator.
Sertus Insurance, which writes the business on behalf of Inter Hannover, is 100% Irish-owned and is managed by qualified professionals, who have been working in the Irish insurance market for more than 20 years."

So far as I can make out they only deal with very straightforward policies (e.g. full Irish licence, minimum points, etc) and I'm guessing their business model could be described as a no-frills Ryanair style Insurance... which is why I'm interested to hear from anyone who may have dealt with them, particularly if they've had to make a claim as a result of an auto accident. The cheaper rate is fantastic, but is everything still fantastic when it comes to (literaly) the crunch?

Recently bought by Royal Sunalliance who I am sure you have heard of.

You'll be safe enough with Sertus

Sertus have been around for a few years. Their policy is far from no-frills as it has all the extras (breakdown, legal expenses, driving other cars up to a 2litre, step back bonus protection). We have used them quite a bit and had a few claims with them and these have always been settled quickly so I wouldn't worry about placing business with them.
I work for a brokers and Sertus is through brokers only which may be why a lot of people haven't heard of them.

Thank you both for the info. Asking around locally I have also been getting an overall positive vibe about Sertus.

Looks like I'll be doing business with them.