Septic Tank Issue

Christinexxx

Hi All!
I am in the process of buying a property. We have signed our side of the contract with our solicitor and we are now waiting on the owner of the house to sign on their end. However we have been told that there is a hold up on their end so they cannot sign yet. The problem is, the septic tank for the house that they are buying is not on the site, it is in the field next to it. The deeds have been applied for to see if it is an issue or will they need the deeds to be amended. We do not know how long this situation is likely to take to be resolved. Can anyone advise please?
Thanks in advance!

Usually there's a legal agreement for easement rights. Once that is found, all is OK.

If it was done by gentleman's agreement or the house and land were at one point in the same family, it may never have been done.

But the chances are its there somewhere

Usually there's a legal agreement for easement rights. Once that is found, all is OK.

If it was done by gentleman's agreement or the house and land were at one point in the same family, it may never have been done.

But the chances are its there somewhere

Thanks for that! The property that this person is buying is owned by a lady. This lady lives next door to her parents field and the septic tank is located in the parents field. Therefore I’d imagine there’s no existing easement rights. I wonder would there be much of a hold up in getting that sorted before they hand the property over.

There won't be a problem, but I wouldn't know a time frame.

I find that when it comes to legal matters the time frame can be a short or as long as you want it to be.

I'm buying a holiday home at present, agreed this week, expect it to close by end of month.
I sold one in 2016, and due to let's just say, non urgency by the buyer it took 5 months.

Basically if both sides are efficient, it will be quick, but if one side or one party on one side is inefficient, it can take a while.

Back