Septic tank/blocked pipes

davfran

Hope someone can help me with my query. Got bio septic tank emptied couple of wks ago, downstairs toilet is backing up. Could it be that the pipes are blocked?
Thanks in advance for any advice.

I don't know how much somebody would charge but you can hire them in any hire shop - very reasonable price prob 20-30 euro for the day. If you are doing it yourself be sure to keep twisting them in a clockwise motion when you are doing it - otherwise you can unscrew one rod from the other by twisting them in wrong direction. We had a blockage in our pipes, couldn't clear it so had to dig up a section of the garden and break into the pipe - turned out it was about a load of sliotars and dog toys!!

Thanks for the info, I'l just ave to look for someone local to do the job.

Any farmers around your way?, any of the guys who can empty the septic tanks usually have a set of rods, they might help you out.

Probably worth buying the rods if they are €20 -€30 to rent - especially if this is going to be a future problem.

you can usually rent rods for 5 euro for half day. thats how much they were when i got them 2 months ago. as someone said there you could probalby buy them for 30!

Hope someone can help me with my query. Got bio septic tank emptied couple of wks ago, downstairs toilet is backing up. Could it be that the pipes are blocked?
Thanks in advance for any advice.

Meaure the length from the manhole/opening to the septic tank and BUY the appropriate number of rods and get plunging...In my experience it wont be the last time you have to do this. If the pipe levels are anyway 'off' at all it is easy to get blockages.

Its a horrible job pushing your own 3 month old waste but someones gotta do it !

try throwing some lime (mixed with water) down the toilet. Will help clear the flow passage.

Or find a plumber who gives a "frequent flyers" discount?

The rods are cheap enough at the hardware store, buy enough to run between the longest section between rodding points, start at the closest end to the house and work your way towards the septic tank. Afterwards flush water through and see if you can see any water collecting, indicating a negative slope in the pipes, and a pretty fair indication of future troubles or whether it's just a once-off occurrence.
It's an appalling job, but I'd reckon it's better to do it yourself and know that you've done the best you can, rather than paying someone to do the bare minimum. Not to be cynical or anything, of course...