Separation - who pays?

Summer Sun

My partner is currenlty starting the process of "Legal Seperation". My question is, his ex wife does not work and there are 3 children living in the family home. My partner currently pays all the bills, mortgage, clothing, food etc, which he obvioulsy should, they are his responsibility. My question is will he have to pay the mortgage on this house indefinitely and at what stage will he stop paying etc.

Also anyone been through the seperation process, is it best going through reputable family solicitor or are there other reputable methods?

Thanks

My partner is currenlty starting the process of "Legal Seperation". My question is, his ex wife does not work and there are 3 children living in the family home. My partner currently pays all the bills, mortgage, clothing, food etc, which he obvioulsy should, they are his responsibility. My question is will he have to pay the mortgage on this house indefinitely and at what stage will he stop paying etc.

Also anyone been through the seperation process, is it best going through reputable family solicitor or are there other reputable methods?

Thanks

It depends, is the mortgage solely in his name?

If his ex-wife goes to the family court. The judge will decide on the maintenance he has to pay. As he was married he will have to cough up for wife and kids. I think he is unable to sell the house (if its in both their names) until kids exceed 18 years of age.
I dealt with 3 different solicitors and found them to be little or no help ( i wasnt married though, house and 2 kids).
My advice is to try settle things amicably. If not, ex wife will have all her friends informing of what she is entitled to etc.

There is information on the citizens information page on this as far as i can remember.

Hi i am going through this at the minute with my ex . Basically she is entitled to maintenance for the kids and also maintenance for herself . She can apply for one parent family support but maintenance will be seen as income but she sould be still entitled to a payment if she is not working . More than likely he will have to pay a percentage of the mortgage and yes she is entitled to stay in that house till they are 18 .

It would really help if they could trash this out between them in mediation which is free and try and be reasonable and fair to each other if it is amicable . In our case it actually makes more financial sense for ex to pay all of mortgage and smaller amount of maintenance as with 2 disabled children i will qualify for carers allowance .It can be very confusing and i fund citizens advice great to help

Thanks

Thanks Mojo and others. At present all is very amicable and I have no doubt that both parties would be happy to go through mediation. I will suggest Citizens Advice Bureau in the first instance.

Thanks again

Back