Separation & House Not in her name

toastie

Hi,

House Value - 325k euro
Mortgage Balance - 147keuro with 13 years left. House purchased with brother as she was not working and I was way off to get the mortgage (230k).

Relationship started 2000, 1st child born 2002, house bought 2003, married 2006, 2 further children born 2007/2009, and separated legally 2017.
Maintenance paid weekly without fail, plus some other adhoc costs and she remains in home. Court order I pay mortgage ( plus LPT, Insurance etc.) and up to date.

I have been researching what will likely happen on divorce and considering if paying full mortgage is a wise thing and should I pay half and bank remainder upon divorce.
She works partime now, claims WFP plus extras, in a relationship where he "stays over" and by the sounds of it not struggling - 2hols this year and I dont begrudge btw.
Court ordered she has a financial interest in property yet wondering would a 50/50 split apply , my view is probably yes until separation and bearing in mind the hardship I had when moving out to a bedroom in a strangers house, different relationship with kids as non resident. She has also been very difficult in this regard but another matter.

My debt position has increased further as a result of separation as I had to buy a new place with a family loan/mortgage as rental was impossible and costly. Court aware of this and didnt appear to be an issue.

What would you do ?

Thanks in advance.

What does your solicitor say?

If John and Peter own a house jointly, but Mary -John's ex gets to live in it rent free, I would have thought that Peter would have had a right to something?

Or is Peter there in name only to get the mortgage? Did he make no contribution to the deposit and no mortgage payment?

Brendan

considering if paying full mortgage is a wise thing and should I pay half and bank remainder upon divorce.

Can you explain this further. If the court ordered that you pay the mortgage, then I presume that is what you have to do.

Brendan

the brother was there to secure the mortgage and carry the risk for 30 years, obviously unaware that things would breakdown. He also contributed to deposit to support me with monies not returned. I paid all the mortgage.
Despite what the court order says, i am considering my options for fear of being screwed on divorce (proceeds split) when she presumably will play the card that she has little. I am maintaining payments but on divorce who knows what will happen.
Thank you for replies.

Back