Separation and right to property

• Thread starter rogeyspoint
  • Start date
R

rogeyspoint

Hi,

I was just wondering if one could answer this question. With relation to property rights and names on deeds.

When married, I bought our house outright with my money and put both names on house deeds.

I also bought a site with my money and put both names on it.

My spouse then inherited a couple of acres of land and has built a house on it but has only put their name on it and is paying the mortgage.

What happens, my spouse has said that we will split the original house down the middle and leave the other places alone.

Is this right? Does it matter if my name is not on deeds of her newly built house and would I presume that I should be entitled to have a claim on that property?

Thanks.

There is no simple answer. You need legal advice.

The courts will look at the overall financial situation of both spouses and the needs of both spouses and any children going forward.

When we got married, I bought the house outright with my savings prior marriage and put it in both names as a married couple would.

A few years later, we were thinking of building our own, I bought a site outright with my savings prior marriage and put it in both names but didn't go ahead and build on it.

after a couple of years, my spouse inherited about 3 acres and decided to build a house for holidays, etc. It was put in their name due to planning restrictions on having to be from area and so planning was issued and deeds were in their name, it was mentioned that I would be put on it. I do know that my name on the banks mortgage papers to get tax relief!

Any advice what may happen or doesn't it matter whose names are on deeds but that everything has to be taken into account?

Back