Senior Holidays Spain

gilh

Any feedback on senior holidays to Costa del sol, Spain. Any suggestions re day trips etc.

There was a scheme last year whereby the Spanish Government subsidised holidays for 55+ age group and this meant that a full-board stay in a 4* Hotel (Spanish style!) cost approx €440 per person per week, getting cheaper if you stayed longer. We went to Fuengirola for 3 weeks, hotel accommodation and food was fine (no great shakes), but the weather was disappointing. So, it depends on what you're interested in - if you want a quality stay, make sure you check out the hotel and read all reviews relating to food, cleanliness and service. If you think you're going to get good sunshine in the winter months, even on the Costa del Sol, you may be disappointed. However, it will be warmer than here and probably won't be covered in snow for a month or two. You will find that the majority of other tourists around at that time are in the 60+ category and primarily English. Main problem we had is that I was mugged and my bag stolen - apparently an everyday occurence on the Costa del Sol - which put a fairly large dampener on the experience. I wouldn't do it again but I think it's probably fairly good value for a winter holiday. Make sure that your package includes airport transfers, a local representative (there are always problems to be sorted out on the ground), that you book the appropriate board type (i.e. B&B, half-board, full-board, all-inclusive) as they are all different, and that you're properly insured. Enjoy if you go!

We have gone on one of these Senior Holidays. Also, we have come across other Senior Holidays while on holidays ourselves. If one or two people are travelling together the Senior Holidays are a good deal. You will come across others from EU countries on the same holiday which is good. Occasionally, you could find yourself being the only English speaker on the holiday, again can be good. Sometimes the Senior Holidays people supply a Medical Officer and an Entertainments manager.

But, if 3 or 4 people over or under 55 are travelling together it probably would be more prudent to book accommodation (apartment/house/duplex) and flights separately. Even with car hire you probably would get a cheaper and better holiday.

spanish seniors

Eight of us have booked HotelRoc Lago Rojo for seniors trip end of Oct. Has anybody stayed there. Any tips for this area =day trips ,tapas bars, golf club hire, Car or people carrier hire etc

There are 128 reviews of the hotel with good bits of info on Tripadvisor.