sending a test script in an email

zag

All,

I am trying to evaluate whether a particular mail client suffers from a published vulnerability, but can't work out how to create the test mail.

According to the documentation, including this in the mail should cause a new browser window to open (in vulnerable clients)

public void init() {
getAppletContext().showDocument("http://www.nasdaq.com");
}

When I include it in a HTML mail it is just displayed as written and not rendered/interpreted/executed. I reckon I need some other stuff wrapped around it (like <script> or something like that, but my knowledge in this area is sadly lacking. The above snippet is described as being a java aplet within a HTML mail.

Can anyone advise or help ?

Thanks,

z

Last edited:
Hi Zag,

The above code is Java, not JavaScript. I'm not aware of any email clients that include a Java interpreter. Therefore, you need to compile the .java source code into a .class file, package it into a .jar, embed the MIME encoded JAR in the email, and reference it from the message body with the <APPLET> tag or something similar. I think!

MugsGame - thanks for the reply. What you describe makes sense alright - it would explain why a search through my entire mailbox for 'public void' returned nothing.

Cheers,

z

Back