Senator Windows..

npgallag

Anyone any experiences using Senator Windows for windows in new house...Have few quotes and senator works out 4k dearer than other quotes..Any feedback appriciated..

Hi there, I am an addicted member of AAM who is also getting windows done,
http://www.askaboutmoney.com/showthread.php?t=49385&highlight=templogue I came accross this link and have decided to go with templeogue windows.. They are over 4K cheaper than fairco.
Just to note also I was not looking for the cheapest windows, I am primarily looking for quality and service.

Templeogue Windows had a lower u value than fairco, and a longer guarentee...

They are supposed to be very good. However, I was getting my Senator windows through a rep as opposed to a retail outlet until I discovered that the rep in question was telling my builder what size to make all the openings! I reckoned it should have been the other way round so I went with a completely different company instead even though they were dearer! If you can find one of the approved dealers that doesn't have a retail unit with all the associated overheads then you will get them cheaper - just remember my experience!

Spicey

They are supposed to be very good. However, I was getting my Senator windows through a rep as opposed to a retail outlet until I discovered that the rep in question was telling my builder what size to make all the openings! I reckoned it should have been the other way round so I went with a completely different company instead even though they were dearer! If you can find one of the approved dealers that doesn't have a retail unit with all the associated overheads then you will get them cheaper - just remember my experience!

Spicey

I wouldn't rush to judge in relation to who specifies the sizes. A lot of companies will recommend that you stick to standard sizes which can be a lot cheaper than something slightly different that has to be custom made. In other words, they're actually saving you money by doing this.

Of course, there's nothing to say they weren't doing the exact opposite (i.e. recommending a more expsnsive option)!

I'd be inclined to find out the exact reason though before making a judgement, though.

I wouldn't rush to judge in relation to who specifies the sizes. A lot of companies will recommend that you stick to standard sizes

I am of the opinion that it is better to get the window company to measure up and make the windows & doors to fit the openings rather than the other way around. Therefore, if there is any problem the window company would have to sort it out - as opposed to the builder having to make any adjustments - which could cause further problems! Much easier if you are building a one off house I think though I'm sure a lot of people have made their openings to a standard size. It would be interesting to hear from anyone who did this and whether or not it all went smoothly!

In my case I had agreed with the Senator franchisee that the windows & doors would be made to fit my openings and therefore I was quite annoyed to discover that he was instructing my builder to make the openings smaller - no doubt to standard size - probably so he could make a bit more dosh for himself as we had already agreed the price for off standard!!

Spicey

We used Senator windows for a previous extension and were happy with the quality of their product, though their sales people and installation team left something to be desired. This time around we've gone with Capitol windows (here in Wexford). who offer a much more personal service with a very comparable product. Our builder recommended them and we're really pleased so far and would recommend them highly. They also came in slightly cheaper. (no I don't have shares, just a satisfied customer)

I cut deeper rebates into all our (hardwood) windowframes, and refitted DG panels. FAR cheaper than getting complete windows.

I am of the opinion that it is better to get the window company to measure up and make the windows & doors to fit the openings rather than the other way around. Therefore, if there is any problem the window company would have to sort it out - as opposed to the builder having to make any adjustments - which could cause further problems! Much easier if you are building a one off house I think though I'm sure a lot of people have made their openings to a standard size. It would be interesting to hear from anyone who did this and whether or not it all went smoothly!

Here's a sad, cautionary tale. Some years ago, our clown of a builder measured (somewhat haphazardly I thought at the time) for three non-standard sized windows and one door. Six weeks later, they arrive, millimeter perfect (to what was specified). You can guess the rest.

We had the scrap the lot, and were down a couple of thousand. It was the straw that broke the camel's back with the builder, who I got rid of. Luckily we still owed him a bit (but not enough to cover the windows). Left a very bitter taste. After that I swore that whoever measured would take the financial hit if it was wrong.

As an aside, we've just had seven sash widnows put in from Marvin. Not the cheapest, but we're very pleased with them (both the windows and our dealings with them).

By the way, my previous point about suppliers suggesting standard sizes assumed it was a new build and for the sake of minor adjustments why not stick to standard sizes. I ceryainly don't like the idea of suppliers and builders chaning spec on things without informing the client of what's going on.

Back