Senator Donnie Cassidy quotes

bamboozle

from today's Sunday Times
'he said Irish politicians expenses are 'completely in line with their colleagues in Europe' and are 'just adequate''
on the overnight hotel allowance of €120 per night
'that doesnt include dinner or lunch or any other thing that we may need to carry us through the day'

i remember this guy only because he appeared on the Late Late Show some months back and even Pat Kenny couldnt hold back his anger towards some of the arrogance of Cassidy's responses that night.

I dont know what planet this guy lives on if he feels he needs to have his meals paid for on top of his salary out of state taxes at a time when over 400,000 people are now on the dole.

Here's another one for you (April 10th 2008):

Senator Donie Cassidy: Senator Hannigan raised the matter of house prices. These have been substantially reduced offering much relief to the first-time house buyer. I sympathise with such buyers. We were all in that category at one time. It is a serious challenge for a person to part with in excess of 30% of his or her weekly disposable income to pay for a home. The Irish have been excellent in this regard.

Prices are now nearing the bottom end. Recently I quoted a house price from the midlands, offering a brand new, semi-detached, three-bedroomed house with everything in place for €195,000. I can now recount to the House that in many larger towns such as Mullingar, Athlone or Tullamore, it is possible to get a four-bedroomed, semi-detached house with fitted kitchen for €260,000. Now is the right time to buy.

Senator Rónán Mullen: Should Senator Cassidy declare an interest?

(Interruptions).

Senator Donie Cassidy: We have a duty to tell first-time house buyers, young couples with no previous experience, that there is unbelievable value in the marketplace today. It will not last forever. It is never the wrong time to do the right thing. I offer the House the benefit of my experience and my opinion which is all any Member can do. I will remind the House, perhaps in 12 or 18 months, when prices have again increased by 25% or 30%, that they were told this by the Leader of the House on this historic day, the tenth anniversary of the Good Friday Agreement.

Back