Semi Home Automation Question

blaze

I'm currently having my house rebuilt and will have the electrician come in in about a week. What I'd like to do is have speakers in some of the rooms and control them from a downstairs office. I'd like to do this as cheap as possible. I looked at Sonas etc and its too expensive. Also I wouldnt be too concerned about the digital quality. Its more just to have sound downstairs if we are having a party etc.

What I was thinking was fitting ceiling speakings to all rooms and running speaker cable back to the home office. I just need to be able to turn on and off and increase and lower the sound in each of the rooms. I do understand that the same audio will have to play in all. I mainly want to have radio but with the option of CD or MP3 players.

So my question. What type of box would I need for the speaker cables to come into and do I need something else to control which speakers are live etc.

Can anyone suggest where to buy the cables and speakers and hardware that would be a bonus.

On a side note for TV and Sat etc I plan to buy a Plasma and have that in the main TV room and get a 5.1 Surround DVD and hook that up I will also have 2 Satellite systems. What I would like to know is that the best way would be to watch using these system on other TV. Is the loftbox at http://www.tvlink.co.uk/loftbox.htm all I would need or do you have a better suggestion.

I see posts about running Cat5 cable back to a central point but since I wont have my DVD and Sat gear in the main TV rooms I dont think I can do this. I could I guess run cat 5 cable to the office but dont know what the point would be.

Any help with this would be great.

Hi,

Wouldnt that just increase my costs? Ideally thats what I would like but I checked alot of Home Automation places and to have them to work isnt cheap at all. My electrician will help out of I source and buy everything and should be cheaper. But thanks for the lightening reply.

Back