Selling software via US website - is VAT involved?

fizzy

I am VAT registered and considering selling small bits of software I would create via a US website. The US site sells software downloads worldwide priced in dollars, usually B2B but there is no way of knowing. The site takes a commission on each sale and the developer gets the rest.

I am wondering whether VAT would need to be accounted for in this revenue?
I have read the VAT leaflet on international transactions at http://www.revenue.ie/en/tax/vat/leaflets/place-of-supply-of-services.html but I am not sure of how this would apply in my case.
Would I just consider that all my software sales were B2B sales to the US website and therefore no Irish VAT is payable?

Many thanks for your time

...Would I just consider that all my software sales were B2B sales to the US website and therefore no Irish VAT is payable?

This can be an extremely complex area and you should seek proper professional advice.

Basically you will need to look at the details of the terms on which you contract with the US website. The devil will be in that detail which should dictate the (Irish) VAT situation.

ok thanks smeharg - was hoping it would be straightforward :(

i'll try and get some professional advice on this so. have also emailed revenue to ask about it.

Back