Selling share certificates in Ireland

tiarnalamh

I would like to sell 200 shares. They are in share certificate form. What is the safest and cheapest way to go about this in Ireland?

I used to work in this area but it was a long time ago.

with share certificates in general it’s probably best to lodge it with a broker to get converted to electronic form for sale or lodge directly back to the registrar and create an account.

pretty sure you need an account with one of these or an online platform to dispose.

the reason this is the safest is because once they are converted to electronic shares there should be no problem with the sale.

I often found if brokers sold shares on the basis of a certificate being presented rather than converted first, there was frequently a problem with the certificate (no longer valid, reported as lost/stolen and subsequently found, replacement cert already issued and sold, indemnity required, some sort of corporate action etc).

As for the cheapest? An online trading platform I presume. Possibly directly with the registrar next. Brokers generally charge a commission, contract charges plus an acc set up or acc fee of some sort.

Thank you Brendan. I wonder would my own bank at AIB do it? The amount would be approx. €2,400 or thereabouts.