Selling old PC

Madangan

Apologies if there is an old thread on this but nithing showed up on search. Just wondering if there is any market for old pcs?

Am thinking about selling mine and buying new laptop. I appreciate it might not be worth much but anything is better than nothing. The pc is about 4 years old(probably prehistoric in IT terms, windows XP etc..)

Also if I do I presume I need to wipe clean my pc, harddrive etc... Is there any website to show me how to do this?

Apologies if there is an old thread on this but nithing showed up on search. Just wondering if there is any market for old pcs?
Yes - but you may not get much. Try the likes of Buy and Sell and Adverts.ie for example.
Am thinking about selling mine and buying new laptop. I appreciate it might not be worth much but anything is better than nothing. The pc is about 4 years old(probably prehistoric in IT terms, windows XP etc..)
Still probably sufficient for some people.
Also if I do I presume I need to wipe clean my pc, harddrive etc... Is there any website to show me how to do this?
There are lots of free tools to do this - for example:

[broken link removed]

After erasing you might want to do a clean install of Windows (if you are selling on the Windows license with the PC) so that the buyer can verify that the PC works OK otherwise people might haggle for a bargain on the offchance that there is something wrong.

The boards.ie computer forum has a sticky where you can ask how much your computer is worth. here 4 years old though probably = not much.

I work in the IT Dept of a school (Dundrum area) and we always welcome donations!

If you decide not to sell and wish to donate it to charity (along with a requested fee of c. €10) then this crowd might be interested:

www.camara.ie

If you decide not to sell and wish to donate it to charity (along with a requested fee of c. €10) then this crowd might be interested:

www.camara.ie

Thanks clubman think I will go this route if and when I get a laptop. Also have told two friends whose PCs were destined for Ballyogan REcycling and they are going to get in touch with the website too.

In my experience you can't even give old computers away.
Not in my experience and I have "recycled" lots of old computers for people who received them as hand me downs. And, as I already mentioned, Camara will take them too:

Be careful of any data you have on your pc (not talking about dodgy websites here). E.g any bank transactions/ebay purchases etc as fraudsters are now targeting 2nd pcs to get credit card details etc.

I work in the IT Dept of a school (Dundrum area) and we always welcome donations!

My company has lots of pc's to dispose of. They are all reasonabke spec and all work. Company is based in Dun laoghaire. There's easily enough to kit out classroom or two. They are free but a donation to our christmas party fund would be appreciated.

You could also donate them to the likes of www.camara.ie

I agree with Clubman. I used them in my last job with a multi-national to dispose of many PC's and servers. We donated the newer PC's to schools (schools get very little funding from the Government for IT, believe it or not). After wiping and formatting the disks of course!