Selling my car - what is the best way of going about this

Status
Not open for further replies.
F

Fluffymub

Hi there,
I am planning on selling my car privately and want some guidance on the best way of going about this. I have heard some horror stories about people selling their cars privately. One such story was the name of ownership was not changed over and the person who sold the car received parking fines and speeding tickets. I want to protect myself against this and other things that can go wrong.

Some advice would be appreciated.
Regards
FM

The onus would be on the seller to make sure the ownership of the car was registered in the name of the new owner by sending off the relevant document to shannon. So that horror story would be avoidable.

@Fluffymub, some very clever AAM posters ( ) wrote a series of linked guides about this very topic, accessible here. If you need more information or the guides don't fulfil all your needs, please post back here and we'll try and get your follow-up queries sorted out.

2nd hand car market is a bit funny at the moment, with some models/age being in high demand & others not selling at all.
In the past have used adverts.ie & carzone.ie
Set the price near the lower end of the range, and drop it by 10% every 2-3 weeks until it sells.

Edit:
can also use the VRT calculator to get an estimate of the value
https://www.ros.ie/VRTEnquiryServlet/showCarCalculator

Just to add DoneDeal is pretty effective, as are a much neglected but much looked at medium - the noticeboard in your local supermarket. All the better if you're selling a large estate car that holds lots of shopping!

Try gumtree.ie it is free. I sold two cars on it, it is all about pricing the car correctly

donedeal all the way imo
have sold my last 4 cars there and most recently put my S3 up last Sunday and it was gone last night.

++ for donedeal
Give as good a description as possible, list every plus point of the car, little things make the difference, like 3 3-point seat belts in the back, foldable back seats, even the cost of servicing it, your average MPG. Also, donedeal allows you to upload a maximum of 9 photos, use this, take a photo of each corner of the car, if it has alloys, take a close up of one of them, also plenty of interior shots.
The more information you give, the less time wasters you'll have to put up with, if someone is coming to have a look at the car, you've hidden nothing about it. Get the buyer to fill sign the tax book and send it off yourself, if you can, photocopy the front and back of the book and take note of the date of postage.
Good luck with the sale, if you want any more advise, give me a shout.

Try and use a mobile number that isn't your main number.

My brothers bought a ready to go a few years back and use it for buying selling cars/trucks/tractors.

ive had my car up on donedeal.ie for 2 months now and its has not sold ive priced it a good bit below value because i really need the money now ,i was cold called by autotrader and they talked me in to putting my ad up on their site and their affiliated site for 19.99 its up two weeks now and still not a dickie bird ,maybe people think the price is too good to be true and thats why they are not biting

Depends on the type of car value etc to see where to advertise,

carzone and car buyers guide not that effective in my opinion, carzone is a good website but not sure if there is alot of sales from it...

Status
Not open for further replies.