Selling my car to a garage?

ButtermilkJa

I will be trading in my car to a garage this week as part exchange for another vehicle. However, the new vehicle is being financed fully through my business so the garage will be writing me a cheque for my car, essentially buying it from me.

Do I need to fill in the garage details on the change of ownership form and post it to Shannon myself, or just leave it with them for the new owner? I don't want the car sitting for weeks/months on a forecort in my name as the tax is due shortly and I don't want to be receiving the renewal letters and what-not!

What is usually done in this case?

The garage will keep the certificate and complete it and send it to Shannon when they sell it. The garage themselves will not be named as registered owners if they are merely selling the car on. It they have it on the forecourt for several weeks you will probably get renewal letters but as it no longer your car its no longer your problem!

Make sure you keep a receipt in case anything funny comes up.

My old man got parking tickets for a car he traded in.

Showed the gardai the invoice and got it sorted.

Cheers... It's from a large main delaer anyway so there'll be lots of paperwork which I'll be keeping anyway!

I will be trading in my car to a garage this week as part exchange for another vehicle. However, the new vehicle is being financed fully through my business so the garage will be writing me a cheque for my car, essentially buying it from me.

It's extremely unlikely that they'll write you a cheque: don't assume this.

The normal mechanism is for them to just offset the value of the trade-in against the amount you owe on the new car.

If you need them to do anything else, check with them beforehand.

I'd be kind of surprised if they'd agree, to be honest.

They've agreed to it already. Apparantly it's standard practice in a lot of garages, they just don't advertise the fact.

I needed to get rid of my private car, and then 100% finance a Commercial vehicle. The only way to do this is to sell my car privately or get the garage to buy it from me as a separate deal.

At the end of the day, if they want your money they'll do what you want