Selling home - what preparation (interior/exterior/documentation) ?

dubdub123

Hi
I'm planning to put my house on the market early next year and looking ahead I'm trying to ensure I've things in a good position.
Some background: Purchased property in rural Ireland in mid 2000s
- Prior to purchase seller went through the process of retention for planning permission as an issue showed up during survey
- After purchase, added a window to the dining room and builders informed that no planning was required however I'm concerned now it may be needed
- After purchase, renovated an abandoned shed on the property by basically fixing up the brickwork and added a roof consisting of perspex. Shed isn't really used at present.

Before I go to surveyors etc can anyone advise on likelihood that I will need to look for retention of planning? If building regulations have changed since house build could that be an issue?

What other areas do people advise to consider ? My list so far
- BER cert
- Septic tank cert
- Show evidence that septic tank recently cleaned
- Evidence that central heating has been serviced
- Quotes from solicitors re selling/buying
- Quotes from auctioneers regarding estimated value and costs
- External cleaning/painting including sorting gutters
- Check condition of roof, gutters etc and perform any works
- Internal painting to freshen up the property in advance of pics .
- Have Approval in Principle in place

Any other areas? I'm trying to take time now to prepare for the sale to try avoid overwhelm during the process... Any guidance at all appreciated. Thank you.

Household charge
NPPR.
Property tax. Check see if you have all the documentation.

You will need folio maps.
Certificate of identity, needed for rural properties, you will get that from engineer when he comes to do the transfer documents for you.
Any electrical or boiler installation certs if you have upgraded in recent years.

Ok thanks Saavy99.
I pay the LPT out of my salary but I should have some documentation - I'll have to dig that out.
Think I have the folio maps from when the house was purchased
not familiar with the Cert of Identity so thanks for flagging that one.

I pay the LPT out of my salary but I should have some documentation - I'll have to dig that out.
You will have to pay the LPT liability for the balance of the year that you complete the sale and then use the LPT online system to obtain clearance from Revenue.

You will also have to get NPPR clearance from your local authority.

You will have to pay the LPT liability for the balance of the year that you complete the sale and then use the LPT online system to obtain clearance from Revenue.

You will also have to get NPPR clearance from your local authority.

what do you mean by NPRR clearance? This is the family home that I'll be selling to buy another. Any info on this appreciated.
Good to know about the LPT liability!

First & foremost, get a skip. Do a big clear out. It'll help with both selling the house, and save you moving things that you'll ultimately get rid of when you move.

Get someone else to point out the things that would have to be fixed for someone moving in. You want to remove any small things that a potential buyer would see as hassle, but they can be hard to spot as you're used to them.

Think I have the folio maps from when the house was purchased
not familiar with the Cert of Identity so thanks for flagging that one.
I believe what's needed will depend on whether property is on land registry, or registry of deeds. Your solicitor will tell you exactly what you need. I'd suggest you start thinking about what solicitor to use being same priority as picking an estate agent.

When you get estate agents around to view the house, ask them if there's anything you should do to make it make saleable / appeal to a better target market. They'll all give you ideas, even if you ultimately go with a different agent.

If building regulations have changed since house build could that be an issue?
No.

what do you mean by NPRR clearance? This is the family home that I'll be selling to buy another. Any info on this appreciated.

As I said above, look up NPPR and household charge, they are old charges brought in the time of the last recession but still very relevant when selling a house. Google the information. It may take some time to gather it.

I believe what's needed will depend on whether property is on land registry, or registry of deeds. Your solicitor will tell you exactly what you need. I'd suggest you start thinking about what solicitor to use being same priority as picking an estate agent.

OK thank you that is all good advice. On the solicitor front, there is a small firm locally that I used for family law stuff and they did the transfer of equity so they should have some details already around the property from that regarding searches etc however I'll be looking for an updated quote from them regarding selling and then separately purchase of a house and any discount. I can check with other local solicitors but I think they would all be pricing similarly. I guess another option is to go outside of the town and get a quote and compare and understand what are the drawbacks of not having them local (maybe not too many drawbacks).

I've been clearing out over the last couple of years being honest and have another pile ready to go to the charity shop but that's a good idea to get third party to take a look and point out any issues. I'm sure I'm invisible to many alright.

As I said above, look up NPPR and household charge, they are old charges brought in the time of the last recession but still very relevant when selling a house. Google the information. It may take some time to gather it.

Great thank you . Yes I'll start gathering up what I have now regarding documentation. this is helpful to have these pointers. I'll have quite a bit of time over Christmas/New Year when I can pull together documents. thanks

It's not really a new liability.

If you are a liable owner of a property on the liability date, you are liable for LPT for the full year. The liability date for LPT in any given year is 1 November in the preceding year.

The good news is that the almost universal practice is for the purchaser to pay the vendor back a pro rata portion of the LPT liability at completion.
what do you mean by NPRR clearance? This is the family home that I'll be selling to buy another.
In that case, you will need a certificate of exemption from your local authority.

Practices differ between local authorities but they generally require a statutory declaration, sworn before a practising solicitor, to the effect that the house was your PPR at all relevant times.

Practices differ between local authorities but they generally require a statutory declaration, sworn before a practising solicitor, to the effect that the house was your PPR at all relevant times.

Article here confims that alright. I went through prep for this recently with my solicitor, they requested utility bills in my name, one from each year from 2009 to 2013 was sufficient.

For my local authority they were happy with utility bills to show my deceased relative was resident in the property 2009-2013.

Check with your own local authority what they need, and start straight away, as it may be difficult to assemble paperwork going back this far.

It's not really a new liability.

If you are a liable owner of a property on the liability date, you are liable for LPT for the full year. The liability date for LPT in any given year is 1 November in the preceding year.

The good news is that the almost universal practice is for the purchaser to pay the vendor back a pro rata portion of the LPT liability at completion.

In that case, you will need a certificate of exemption from your local authority.

OK thank you was not aware of that at all - I'll check that out further, thanks

For my local authority they were happy with utility bills to show my deceased relative was resident in the property 2009-2013.

Check with your own local authority what they need, and start straight away, as it may be difficult to assemble paperwork going back this far.

OK, I've shredded a lot of old documentation from bills etc .. but I should have records from revenue and I should have old bank account statements.

OK, I've shredded a lot of old documentation from bills etc .. but I should have records from revenue and I should have old bank account statements.

I believe the utilities will provide duplicates upon request if you contact them. Bank statements showing payments to a utility obviously won't be enough as they won't include the property address.

Back