Selling car wt outstanding finance, buyer knew amount & where I live. Data Protection

Peterus

Hi,

I think I have the right forum for this question - Banking & Data Protection.

I'm selling a car which has some outstanding finance attached. My plan is to clear that off an hopefully make something on the sale.

One buyer came to my house to kick the tires knew exactly how much was owing on the vehicle. I had not spoken to him prior to this. He said he knew someone "in the business", that's how he got my details.

It's correct people should know there is financing remaining, but how can they know the exact amount and where you live?

I'm not in the car trade so I was wondering if you have a car reg can you find out how much is remaining? For example can I find out who the registered own of a car is, address and what is out standing on their finance?

I spoke to the bank and the customer care rep suggested that a garage could find this out if they needed it. She said a new settlement figure was on the account and I had not requested a updated figure.

I thought data protection should prevent this?

thanks in advance.

Re: Selling car privately, buyer know exactly how much I owed and where I live

I'm not in the car trade so I was wondering if you have a car reg can you find out how much is remaining? For example can I find out who the registered own of a car is, address and what is out standing on their finance?
As far as I know the VRO will not let out this info and unless you are friendly with a member of the force, then no is your answer

Anyone can find out easily what finance is on a car. Loads of sites will sell you that info.
You can't get the owner name unless as said earlier you have access to a corrupt Garda or VRO employee.

Anyone working in or with contact in motor taxation office would know owners name and address

Anyone working in or with contact in motor taxation office would know owners name and address

Staff may have access to names and addresses but it's likely to be a breach of Data Protection to use it for any purpose other than for work.

Re: Selling car wt outstanding finance, buyer knew amount & where I live. Data Protec

Thanks for the replies. On one hand selling the car is my priority. To who I don't care.

The data protection is bothering me. Not that someone would go about trying to find all they can when buying a car, but that the bank gave the information to someone. I spoke to someone at Financial Regulator who advised me to contact Data Protection and make a complaint against the bank.

With regards to who would be able to get the info... turns out the fella may be a Garda, or at least works at a station based on the phone number he called me from today. I checked the phone number against those listed at garda.ie

Re: Selling car wt outstanding finance, buyer knew amount & where I live. Data Protec

With regards to who would be able to get the info... turns out the fella may be a Garda, or at least works at a station based on the phone number he called me from today. I checked the phone number against those listed at garda.ie
You have grounds for a serious complaint to the Garda Ombudsman.

And he rang you from the Office phone ? Not the brightest then ! I take it he's not in the Detective branch !

Friend of mine got finance information recently from this website

[broken link removed]

That won't give any owner information.

Back