selling car with UK plates

IMO, at least VRT amount and maybe more because its a little riskier when checking service histroy etc. Plus there is no IRISH tax or NCT. HAsssle from Guards and Registering car. Well thats what id think.

IMO, at least VRT amount and maybe more because its a little riskier when checking service histroy etc.

While i'd agree with the pricing i'd disagree with the 'risk' element. If anything it's a lot easier to verify the history of a UK car than it is an Irish car, HPI can track whether there are milage discrepancies, insurance claims, car ever stolen etc. etc.

On the off chance that you've been abroad for more than six months and you are now bringing your car back to Ireland - Get it registered first (you wont have to pay VRT) then sell it.

smcgiff, I don't think that's the case anymore. I think you have to own the car abroad for 6 or more months and then keep in Ireland for 6 months or a year before you can register it without paying VRT.

I'm not certain of the exact details on this but I'm fairly sure you have to keep in Ireland for a while before you can register it without VRT.

I'm not certain of the exact details on this but I'm fairly sure you have to keep in Ireland for a while before you can register it without VRT.

Check out the details Bacchus linked. Essentially you'd have to prove (and boy do you have to prove it) that you've lived and worked abroad for the period mentioned and owned the car there for at least 6 months before moving back (i.e. you can't buy it the day before getting on the ferry home).

You must re-register immediatly but if availing of the vrt exemption you are unable to sell the car on for 12 months.

Cheers Eufofan,

I couldn't quite remember the details but I knew there was some catch involved!

why sell
if u need a car to drive u can drive this car
if u had it for more than 6 months in uk u can change to irish plates without paying vrt then u drive it for a year b4 u can sell
even if u dont want to change plates or have it in uk 4 less than 6 months i think u could use it as your car probably cheaper insurance from uk
dont tax or worry about nct /mot u can do that if u return to uk
probably supposed to re register but if garda stop u say ur just visiting etc
if u need to sell cos ur desperate 4 money as said b4 mayb difficult with uk plates not sure if u can put in buy and sell
can always drive to newry
if its very cheap sell to an eastern european they wont even have to insure it and will therrefore travel slower than normal mayb saving lives?