Selling a second hand car - Help Required

polo1

I got a company car a couple of months ago and am trying to sell my own car. Unfortunately was not offered a car allowance... Its a Peugeot 307, 03 D, Black metallic and its the XS model with a lot of extras, only 30K on the clock and FSH.. I have advertised it at lower than similar cars and have tried the usual websites, buyandsell., carzone, autotrader and cbg.ie. Any suggestions on how I might sell this car quickly would be much appreciated...

An ad. in the Sunday Times?

It's not cheap though, and you must include a picture for it to be effective, even though this costs more again.

I'm in a similar position myself, trying to sell a 04 car after getting company car.
You can put an ad up on Carzone for 30 quid and leave it there till sold. It's quite good as you can upload loads of pictures.

I also tried CBG, Autotrader and BuyandSell and did not get much response except from companies trying to tell me that they had buyers for similar cars to mine which they would put in touch with me for a fee. Total con job.

I'm finding though that it's hard to sell a fairly new car privately, little or no genuine interest. I think people spending a lot of cash would rather buy from a garage with warranty. I could do with freeing up the cash due to upcoming house purchase so I'm thinking of looking into selling at auction if no joy soon.

baz05 said:
I'm in a similar position myself, trying to sell a 04 car after getting company car.
You can put an ad up on Carzone for 30 quid and leave it there till sold. It's quite good as you can upload loads of pictures.

I also tried CBG, Autotrader and BuyandSell and did not get much response except from companies trying to tell me that they had buyers for similar cars to mine which they would put in touch with me for a fee. Total con job.

I'm finding though that it's hard to sell a fairly new car privately, little or no genuine interest. I think people spending a lot of cash would rather buy from a garage with warranty. I could do with freeing up the cash due to upcoming house purchase so I'm thinking of looking into selling at auction if no joy soon.

You've got to make your car the most desirable of it's type.

Nice pics. Cleverly worded, honest ads. Explain why you are selling privately.

You will not get full dealer prices. They have costs to pay which you do not.

Think about offering an extended warranty (which can be bought) on your car.

It can be done. Work at it.

Be careful what value you try to sell your car at. Carzone indicates dealer prices, inclusive of warantees and a "haggle buffer".

Buyandsell also contains unrealistic prices as it is free to advertise, so no cost for re-advertising.

Make sure it's fully valeted.

When recieving a phone inquiry, don't say what your bottom line is. Get them to see the car and then discuss.

Last point, it's a bad time of year: christmas budgets and persons waiting for the seconhand selection to increase due to an upsurge in January 06 reg new purchases and getting rid of old.

just drop the price.
you are probably over pricing it anyway.

nobody likes to think their car has lost so much!

Have you looked into putting it up on auction?
(Ashbourne, Co. Meath)
www.wilsonsauctions.com (Kingswood Cross, Naas Road, Dublin 22)
[broken link removed] (Naas Rd., Dublin)

I always thought that as a private seller you'd get pittance for your car at auction. Am I right in saying that?

Gabriel said:
I always thought that as a private seller you'd get pittance for your car at auction. Am I right in saying that?

In my experience, yes. A couple of years ago, I attended several auctions to guage the "trade" price for a model of car I was interested in buying. Some great bargains to be had for a buyer who's mechanically astute and who can afford to take a little risk (not me though!).

A couple of years later, when I eventually went to sell my car, I enquired about putting it through an auction- cost was 60 euro per auction plus 5% of the selling price.

I'd only use an auction as a last resort.

Thanks everyone for their replies.. Still No joy.. CBG, Carzone, autotrader, buy and sell, Irish independent, evening hearld, snday independent, rte.ie and a vallet, lovely sporty photos later!!!! By the way I have also dropped my price by €1500 still its outside my house.. Worst think was it was taxed to end of November and all... Going to put it in the garage until January and try again then.... Thanks again!!!!

polo1 said:
Thanks everyone for their replies.. Still No joy.. CBG, Carzone, autotrader, buy and sell, Irish independent, evening hearld, snday independent, rte.ie and a vallet, lovely sporty photos later!!!! By the way I have also dropped my price by €1500 still its outside my house.. Worst think was it was taxed to end of November and all... Going to put it in the garage until January and try again then.... Thanks again!!!!

I've been trying to sell my car for three months now. Only a few tyre kickers so far.

I'm undercutting the market considerably but still no joy.

Incidentally, I've seen really nice second hand motors (from private sellers) being advertsied on carzone for months now. It's a tough time of year to sell I reckon.

Hello,

I am looking for a used car.
Can you give more details about your car? maybe I will be interested.
I am living in Dublin.

Thanks,

sultana

sultana said:
Hello,

I am looking for a used car.
Can you give more details about your car? maybe I will be interested.
I am living in Dublin.

Thanks,

sultana

Hi sultana - sent you a PM.

Back