Selling a car - watch points

quinno

Selling Mrs Q's car, hopefully over the weekend. Have read a lot on the site about scams - dodgy bankdrafts, uk companies harassing sellers, etc. All good to be aware of.

If I accept payment, other than cash, can I expedite the clearance of a bank draft with a bank - have heard some horror stories about dodgy bank drafts 'bouncing'. Appreciate any advice.

Get buyer to supply details of draft in advance. Confirm with issuing bank.

Get buyer to supply details of draft in advance. Confirm with issuing bank.
I've thought about this and its possible for a scam there also

Buyer gets draft
Makes a good forgery
Sends a scan or fax to seller to verify with bank
Buyer goes back to bank and gets money back
Gives forgery to Seller

Difficult forgery. Various security features on drafts. Holgrams etc.

Issuing bank would have a/c holders name and address and evidence of id in any event.

Difficult forgery. Various security features on drafts. Holgrams etc.

Issuing bank would have a/c holders name and address and evidence of id in any event.
actually, now that I think about it, I think the best thing to do would be to verify the draft at the time of handing over, that way the buyer has to be giving over a genuine draft.

If in doubt
1) ask to see his/her drivers licence and write down the number
2) ask them to bring a utility bill in their name and check name and address against licence. They need to tell you their address anyway because it is up to you to fill in the buyers details on the registration form and your responsibility to send that form to Shannon.
3) ask to take a photo of the buyer (much easier than giving a description to the Garda )

If the seller is not willing to do these things to ease you doubts then you have good reason to worry.