Selling a car privately

C

Con2008

Hi,
I am meeting a punter tomorrow evening re selling my car. Is there anything in particualt I should watch out for? Looking for a checklist that I should follow before I hand over keys...

Any thoughts welcome
Thanks
Con

Hi Con, check key posts on this forum - I'm pretty sure there is something there.

Cash, cash, cash.

Make sure you are not on your own.

When purchaser wants a test drive, accompany them, check his / her licence and if your insurance doesn't cover them to drive, check that they have their own.

Get purchaser's name, address and signature on registration document and post it to Shannon, don't hand it over. Get purchaser to sign a bill of sale stating they are buying car "as seen", don't volunteer any information, but do answer questions honestly.

Take your insurance disc off the window before handing over the keys.

Great advice guys, thanks for that.

Also need to get a spare key cut for him for the car, any ideas on good locksmiths in Dublin?

Cheers
C

Be very careful if the offer you a draft, there is a known scam where the give you a fake bank draft expecting you to hand over the keys. If you do, off they go leaving you holidng a draft that the bank will bounce and the car will be heading out of the country

Back