Selling a broken car

Crea

We can't really afford to keep our 2nd car and can manage without it so we want to sell it. It's an 02 Citreon Xsara Picasso. It needs alot of work and is due an NCT. Front and back light need replacing. It could do with new tyres and there is something wrong with the steering and it eats petrol. How would we go about selling it? Would we need to fix it up first? I'd rather not cause we don't have the money to do this. Should we sell it for scrap - how is this done? HOw much would we get for it?

I've been through this recently when my much loved, very old car, failed to pass the NCT. And even my really nice and patient mechanic advised me to give up the ghost.

My experience was:

Scrap- you'll get around 100 or so. It's very hard to get a figure out of anyone as they all want you to tell them how much you want. Some of them you would not want coming around your house.

Trade-in: surprisingly good, relative to the value of the car, they'll give 400 or 500 on even the worst heap, but as you don't want to change cars this isn't an option for you.

Finally stick it up on donedeal- be honest about it but if it's driving and you pitch it at a low enough price, it'll sell and you should get more than scrappage. MAke sure you keep the registration cert and send off the change of ownership yourself once the buyer has filled it in as you don't need hassle down the line if they fail to send in the transfer and you start getting fines for motor offences as it is still in your name.

There are a few 02 Citreon Xsara Picasso advertised on carzone at between 1,400 and 2,000: they'll probably sell for a good deal less than this. Presmably, they probbaly don't have quite the same problems as yours.

Given that, I think you'd be mad to spend anything on it to help sell it, as these prices represent the absolute maximum you could get for it.

I know somene who got around 600 for a similar car when he sold it for scrap last year, so my advice would be to do the same. I'd imagine trying to sell privately would be a lot of time, effort and grief.

Should we sell it for scrap - how is this done? HOw much would we get for it?

It doesn't sound like your car is worth repairing.

If you're selling it for scrap, make sure you bring it to an Authorised Treatment Facility (ATF). Your Local Authority will have a list of approved ATF's in your area. If you sell it to an unauthorised waste collecter, you may be liable if they dispose of it illegally (i.e.strip the valuable parts & dump the rest in a ditch).

Check out the link below on how to dispose of an End of Life Vechicle.

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/e...how_to_dispose_of_an_end_of_life_vehicle.html