Selling 10K Car Privately & Test Drives

taytoman

Hi

We are thinking of selling a 4 year old car worth approx 10K privately
My concern is around people test driving it and crashing into someone else etc

What is the "protocol"- do people look to see evidence of open drive on a car insurance document or what? Or just take a chance? Will people realistically drive a car without test driving it themselves as opposed to the owner bringing them for a drive?

Also, where's the best place to advertise a 10K car in the Dublin area?

What is the "protocol"- do people look to see evidence of open drive on a car insurance document or what?
Nobody really has open drive to drive every car it is used for a single car. What most do have is insurance to drive another car wtih the owners permission assuming that car is insured. Any accidents will revert to their own insurance.

I don't see why you can ask to see people insurance to see if they are covered. If they want to drive it.

Hi,
I began selling cars a number of years ago, I had an expeirance about 4 years ago when a buyer was test driving a car and went into a ditch. He ended up not being covered to drive any car but his own however he had told me he was covered to drive any car which he did not own, we eventuly sorted it out between us but even now, I dont give a test drive unless im the driver!.. when i have the money in hand they buyer can drive where ever he likes. I strongly advise you check out the buyer is properly covered to drive your vehicle on a test drive as could all come back on you if anything happens..

Have you any cars for sale now?