Self employed person + spouse's pension

Megan

Can a self employed person claim tax relief for her payments made into her spouse's pension for 2006?

No - tax relief is only allowed on pensionable earnings, someone else's income is not pensionable!

Can a self employed person claim tax relief for her payments made into her spouse's pension for 2006?

The spouse has already claimed this by way of salary deduction persumably, you can't claim tax relief again

You could give your spouse the money in order that she can claim against her salary for 2006 by way of AVC if she is in a company pension scheme or by setting up a pension scheme if not. She would be entitled to claim tax at the marginal rate subject to revenue rules regarding age etc.

I am making a number of persumption here so please forgive me if I have overstepped the mark.

Thank you for your replys. The spouse is a stay at home spouse so he doesn't have a salary in his own right but his wife pays into a pension for him. The question is - can she claim this on her tax return for 2006?
They are a one income family.

Thank you for your replys. The spouse is a stay at home spouse so he doesn't have a salary in his own right but his wife pays into a pension for him. The question is - can she claim this on her tax return for 2006?
They are a one income family.
She should be paying into her own pension to claim her tax credit. I'm not sure if there is such a thing as a joint pension.

Make sure that he is signed up to the homemaker's scheme so he doesn't lose any years off his SW entitlement (presuming he is stay at home with children) or pay his minimum stamp for contributary pension. I believe this (the homemaker's scheme) is presumed for women with children, but I would doubt it is for men.

Back