Self builders, book recommendations

Best one I found without a doubt was "Build your own House and Home" 2006 edition available at Easons
Excellent Irish publication that will guide you through all aspects of your self build

I was in easons today, i found a book by david snell, build your own house ( i think) is this the book?

No - That's not it.

"Build your own House and home" is a softback Big Magazine type publication. It's from the same people that do a monthly? interiors magazine "house and home".
The price is around €10

I think the builder's manual published by Homebond is a fantastic resource for anyone building or employing a builder in Ireland today. It is used as a reference source by many construction studies students and is "standard issue" to foremen in the building industry. Unlike many British publications it is written solely based on building methods and materials which are accepted and commonly in use on the home market.

Carpenter said:
I think the builder's manual published by Homebond is a fantastic resource for anyone building or employing a builder in Ireland today.

Hi Carpenter,

Do you know where this can be purchased/ordered? A quick internet search has not turned it up.

Housebuilders Bible is a good book, not overly technical but gives you a good appreciation of what works, the approximate costs (although is UK), what to think about in terms of design.

Homebond is very good for telling you that you need X mm of a gap between things, concrete of a depth of ....., secured at intervals of ....... (fairly technical but with a good few photos & diagrams so should be able to follow it).

bankrupt said:
Hi Carpenter,

Do you know where this can be purchased/ordered? A quick internet search has not turned it up.

Easons and the like should have the book, "House Building Manual 5th Edition", alternatively it can be purchased directly from Homebond at Construction House, Canal road, Dublin 6. It normally retails at €45. The 5th edition (just out) covers the most recent changes to the building regulations.

I've went to easons in letterkenny to get the book build your own house & home but they never heard of it. they told me if i could get the isbn number of it they would be able to order it for me can anyone get this number?

Its more of a magazine than a book, it wont be listed the books section but on the racks with DIY magazines and stuff

thanks i'll give easons a ring and see how i get on thanks for the quick reply.

i agree with carpenter, as a builder myself the homebond book would be a good reference. also the self build magazines are informative. they come out in conjunction with the self build show 5 times a year. you can also see about back issues.