self build using griffner coillte

midland muck

Hi, I'm planning to build a new house in Co. longford in a rural seting. I have seen ads for a company called Griffner Coillte ([broken link removed]) who produce prefabricated timber frame houses and assemble them on site. The houses are not the run of the mill timber frame house that are constructed, but are very attractive and offer continental style one off homes.

The houses conme with all external windows, doors and cladding/external finishes. The houses are assembled in a weather proof condition in 2 weeks. Most of the 1st fix internals are included i.e. heating and electrical installation etc

I'm wondering if anyone has any experience of this company and if the price compares well with building a traditional self build house?

Got a quote for ours and price was prohibitive. Sure get a quote and see, but their document back to you might be a source of mirth.

They seem to like a lot of external timber, which sounds grand and initially looks gorgeous, but do you really want to have to varnish your house every year??

Thanks for the replies all. I had a feeling that they would be expensive. I'll contact them just out of interest though.

Hi midland muck
If you were interested, they build Michael McDowells house in Kilglass and also the health centre in Dromod. An architect friend of mine, who is longford based is very impressed by them. Good luck