self build: should i get someone to prepare a "Bill Of Quantity"?

Birroc

Hi,

I am hoping to start a self build in the next few weeks. I have planning and I am currently sourcing contractors and organising finance.

My question is : Should I get somebody to put together a Bill of Quantities before I start ?

Thanks in advance.

Re: Bill Of Quantity

I had a Bill of Quantities prepared for my build and would recommend any self builder or build by contractor to do the same. You need to do the specification in advance with the Quantity Surveyor. It will act as a good cost plan for the project and help in decision making as to finish level and materials used etc.

Yes they can be very handy.

You will have to sit down with the QS and agree the type of Spec house you are looking for, ie insulation and u values, windows, finishes spec on doors and architrave white deal vs oak. Stairs and kitchens will be a PC sum.

When you have a good spec on paper the qs will measure all work items in the house send it out to a few builders and compare prices, the BOQ is as such a contract and all rates that the builder includes should be fixed for the duration of the contract.This will give you a price certainty as to where your build is going and will allow you spend a little more or less on finishes depending on your budget. It will also allow you track any variations or extras as these will be outside the measured scope of the bill.

If you are going selfbuild like me and hoping to save a bit more money, the way it will probably work is talk to a blocklayer he will look at plans and price it per block its up to you to count them after, the same for the roof you buy the materials and pay the carpenters for their time or let them price it. None of these lads would rarely see a section from a BOQ and usually look at these jobs; ah it will take two weeks give me ah umm €5,000.

If you get a BOQ drawn up though it can be useful for ordering materials, and keeping track on how your self build sperate work elements are tracking against a price you might have recieved from a builder. If you get the bill broken out into blockwork, concrete, roofing, plumbing, plastering, wiring and second fix get a builder to price it and then use it as a way to haggle with local blocklayers roofers and so on who will be quoting you

Yes they can be very handy.

You will have to sit down with the QS and agree the type of Spec house you are looking for, ie insulation and u values, windows, finishes spec on doors and architrave white deal vs oak. Stairs and kitchens will be a PC sum.

When you have a good spec on paper the qs will measure all work items in the house send it out to a few builders and compare prices, the BOQ is as such a contract and all rates that the builder includes should be fixed for the duration of the contract.This will give you a price certainty as to where your build is going and will allow you spend a little more or less on finishes depending on your budget. It will also allow you track any variations or extras as these will be outside the measured scope of the bill.

If you are going selfbuild like me and hoping to save a bit more money, the way it will probably work is talk to a blocklayer he will look at plans and price it per block its up to you to count them after, the same for the roof you buy the materials and pay the carpenters for their time or let them price it. None of these lads would rarely see a section from a BOQ and usually look at these jobs; ah it will take two weeks give me ah umm €5,000.

If you get a BOQ drawn up though it can be useful for ordering materials, and keeping track on how your self build sperate work elements are tracking against a price you might have recieved from a builder. If you get the bill broken out into blockwork, concrete, roofing, plumbing, plastering, wiring and second fix get a builder to price it and then use it as a way to haggle with local blocklayers roofers and so on who will be quoting you

Thanks. How much does it cost to get a QS to draw up a BoQ ?
Can anyone send me a sample BoQ ?

Your welcome every little bit helps.

Best of luck with the build.

Jolly man your site is fantastic. I've been doing a lot of research as I soon plan to start building (using a contractor) and its the most useful information I have come across so far.

Im glad it is of help, its good to share experiences and i was in the same boat as you and could find very little information. I decided to set up the blog to try and help others, this site is a fantastic reference too and all its informed posters.

Im glad it is of help, its good to share experiences and i was in the same boat as you and could find very little information. I decided to set up the blog to try and help others, this site is a fantastic reference too and all its informed posters.

As a matter of interest you mention you "are looking at the possibility of using Heat Recovery ventilation"

did you install a MHRV system in the end ? if so, how do you find it ?

Back