Self Build Questions

lucylu

Firstly I am waiting to see if we (my partner and I) get Full planning permission on a site from my parents.

If I get it, how long will it take to get the land deeds changed for the site ?
Is there is a fixed wait time?
Can I build before the land ownership is changed.
Do I have to go to a solicitor or can i go to the land registry office directly?
How much does it cost?

Will my partner have to pay tax on the site and how is it calculated?

Thanks your your help

If I get it, how long will it take to get the land deeds changed for the site ?
Is there is a fixed wait time?

To transfer a site into your name, if a solicitor is involved, they will need the title deeds, a map ( if the site is part of a larger plot, this map will need to have the area in transfer certified by an engineer) and your personal details- name, address, RSI numbers etc. Once the solicitor has these she or he can draw up the documents of transfer fairly quickly - if there is a rush, within a week. You will then all have to sign ( independant legal advice may be needed for your parents depending on their wishes and the circumstances) and once the docs are signed you are the beneficial owner and can mortgage it and build immediately.
Can I build before the land ownership is changed.
Yes, but I wouldnt recommend it for various legal reasons ( the most simple of which is that you DON'T own it) and tax issues.
Do I have to go to a solicitor or can i go to the land registry office directly?
You don't have to go to a solicitor, but do you know how to transfer ownership? Do you know what steps to follow, what documents will be needed- not just now but in the future for any bank that you want to get a mortgage from or if you want to sell. I would recommend going to a solicitor.
How much does it cost?
Depends on the title, whether it is part of a folio or a full folio, depends on the value of the site, whether you are getting a mortgage etc- I would recommend you ring for eg your family solicitor or make an appt to see them and ask them for a quote( you won't be charged for getting a quote).
Will my partner have to pay tax on the site and how is it calculated?
Depends on the value of the site- I assume you NEED to put the site into joint names, rather than into your sole name?

Hi Lucylu - Have a look here under Mortgages - key posts and self build links for further answers.

once the docs have gone to the Land Registry and your solicitor has done a land search you should be ok to build
I have been leaving in my house for 5 years (on a site) and the land registy have still not finalised the transfer (no compilications just slowness apparently they are on a bit of a go slow for the last few years)
some parts of Galway you may wait up to 7 -10 years to get land transfered

Back