Self Build - Final Check by Planning Authority

arasain

We're coming to the end of a self build project and my question is this:

The application to the planning authority included a stone wall to be built along the frontage to the site (approx 55m). This will end up costing us 15k-20k which to be honest I could think of loads of higher priority things to spend the money on (appliances, furniture, landscape etc).
Will we get away with delaying this for a few years (maybe put in a post & rail in the meantime) or will the planning authority insist that the wall is in place right away?

I know I could just ring them and ask but our planning application was fraught with from the begining and I don't want to rock the boat

Thanks for your comments

Check the planning conditions - is there a set timeframe to ensure that this is completed by

If you get a level headed planner he/she may agree on something costing a bit less. I wouldnt have any hang ups about ringing them as they wont be out to inspect your finished job in any event unless someone sends a report in.

If you are in a rural area they may let you away with a fence augmented with a local hedgerow

If you have a mortgage on the property you will need to check with the supervising architect/engineer to see if they are happy enough to issue you with a cert. of compliance in the absence of a stone wall. Normally that end of things would be OK

Back