Self Build Cork - Suppliers & Advice

krissovo

Hi All

I am about to start a 2700 sq ft semi dormer build in Rathcormac on a acre site, I am going to semi manage the project myself as I have project management experience as well as (commercial) building experience. I have lived out of the country for 15 years plus so my industry contacts are zero and I know large commercial projects are very different to self builds. So this is where I am looking for some advice from anyone out there who has possitive fairly recent experience of suppliers etc.

Firstly - Anyone know a good material supplier for general building supplies? I have looked at one in Cork but the prices look on the high side. If there is a reasonable supplier out there please share the knowledge also it does not have to be the cheapest as I aslo want the service to go with it.

Secondly - Brick/block/aggregates suppliers? Also what are the going rates for blocks and bricks at the moment? I have been told 50+ cent a block but all I have found is nearly a euro, I would expect it to be laid for that! My house will be ICF so only the garage and 5m x 5m shed will be brick and block.

Thirdly - I am looking for a good project manager to run the job on a part time basis. Anyone know or recommend a person who can assist with the build I would be grateful. Particularly interested in someone who can add value by saving me a few bob on contractors/suppliers etc.

Lastly I am going to be completing some site prep over the next few weekends. Can anyone recommend some cheap material (some form of aggregate) to lay down. Previous projects I would have used hardcore but the price now its coming out of my wallet means there must be something cheaper over here to lay down. I would say I need 20 to 30 tonnes to cover the entrance, mobile home area(yes I am living on site) and parking stores area.

Any help would gratefully appreciated and also passed onto future builders.

Thanks
Chris

Check out Leamlara Quarries for Stone , they are good value & not too far from you.

If you pm me I can give you the number