Self Administered Pensions & Property

Newby

Have ran a search on this forum for this topic but can't seem to find anything. Was wondering if there is any documentation out there about using a self administered pension fund to invest in property. There are surely restrictions on the level of involvement that can be had with the property. Does anybody have any reference material that is useful. (Have tried google)

Cheers for any suggestions.

There are surely restrictions on the level of involvement that can be had with the property.

There are. The property must be at arm's length from you. Which effectively means you can have no connection with the property in terms of the purchase or the ongoing rent. Your self-admin pension can't buy property from: -

• yourself
  • your spouse
  • family members
  • your company
  • anyone connected to you
Once the property has ben purchased, you can't rent it to any of the above either. Revenue really do want self-admin investments to be completely unconnected to you, so that the object of the investment is just that - investment - and not driven by some other side benefits.

A wise old pensioneer trustee once gave me a neat rule of thumb regarding the many schemes that people occasionally dream up - "Can I sell my house to a shell company and then get my self-admin pension to buy it from that?" etc. -

If you have to ask, the answer is probably No. :D

Back