Health Insurance Selecting a Health Policy with pre existing condition

KeenToLearn

Hello,

I’m looking for some advice on selecting a Health Insurance Policy. I am 37, male and have not had health insurance for 10 years.

I have a pre-existing cardiac medical condition. I have not needed surgery or any interventions so far but most likely will down the road. I do have checkups and scans in private hospitals that I paid for myself, again not very often.

I am aware of the 5 year waiting period for cover, but want to know if there is any buy back options for years not insured or if it’s a rigid 5 years and that’s it.

Based on my medical requirements to have access to cardiac related care in future, what’s the best strategy for selecting a plan. Is it get a decent standard plan for 3 years and then for years 4 and 5, select the actual plan tailored for cardiac related care so the 2 year plan waiting time and the 5 year pre existing condition waiting times are covered.

If this is the best way, can you recommend the most suitable packages available.

Thanks.

Hi KeenToLearn,

Your understanding of the 5 year wait for pre-existing condition;/illnesses is correct, also there is no buy back options for the years not insured.
You will be treated like a new customer starting off. What you can avail of, is the credit for the years that you were insured, so as to avoid the
loadings related to Lifetime Community Rating. You are 3 years over 34 years. so if you were insured for 3 years in the past, you will avoid the
2% loading for 3 years. The onus is on the customer to show/explain about your previous cover.

Moving on to health insurance plans, it depends on the budget that you have in mind and where in the country you are living.

The good news is that although your heart condition will not be covered for hospital treatment for 5 years, it will be covered straight away for any
scans, consultant visits, gp visits etc in public or private hospitals. Some medical expenses are partial refunded via the app on an ongoing basis.
Some scans are covered directly by the provider, no payment necessary.
Also, any new illnesses that arise will be covered for hospital treatment/surgery after the initial 6 months on the plan.

The following plan will tick all the boxes for hospital cover and day to day cover. Details as follows;
1. Laya Inspire; price 1100pa(upto 31 Dec 2019, from 1 Jan price 1140pa) all public, private and 3 hi-tech hospitals covered, private excess 150
per admission, day case excess 50 per procedure. There is no excess to pay in any public hospital. Good day to day cover included, 50% refund
for consultant, gp, dental etc. allowable straight away.

The following links show plans that cover both public and private hospitals, with all 3 providers. The VHI Smart range and Irish Life Benefit range
have a selected list of public and private hospitals covered. If you live in Dublin, the selection is very good.
Likewise the One plan range and the other Laya plans cover all public and private hospitals, no restriction.
After that, it depends what excess amount you are happy to choose, from 200, 250, 300 or 500.
I included a basic plan with just public hospital cover, VHI PublicCare Day to day price 509, if you want to keep costs low for the first 3 years.
Some Irish Life Plans offer free travel insurance, which may be a handy extra.

https://www.hia.ie/comparison-tool/...vY2siOmZhbHNlLCJwbGFuX2RldGFpbF9pZCI6LTF9fV0=

https://www.hia.ie/comparison-tool/...Mb2NrIjpmYWxzZSwicGxhbl9kZXRhaWxfaWQiOi0xfX1d

https://www.hia.ie/comparison-tool/...vY2siOmZhbHNlLCJwbGFuX2RldGFpbF9pZCI6LTF9fV0=

If you join before Jan 1st it avoids any price increases that usually apply in that month.

Hope this helps to make a decision.
Snowyb

Thanks Snowyb for the thorough response,

I have selected the VHI PMI 0710 plan from Jan 01st. The main hospitals I visit are in Dublin so Im not concerned with the Whitfield and Sligo private hospitals not been available. Im also aware that a fully private room is not fully covered so Blackrock Clinic stay would not be fully covered as they have no shared semi-private rooms. Ill stick with this level of cover for the first 3 years and review after that to see what best suits.

Thanks again and hope your enjoying the holidays.

KeenToLearn,

Regarding the Blackrock Clinic cover for PMI 07 10, you would be covered in a private room as they waive the shortfalls, regardless of the amount.
To make it easy, they have a very useful tool on their website so that you can check any plan on the market regarding cover in their hospital.
Its very interesting to see the results.
http://cover.blackrock-clinic.ie/

Snowyb

Back