Seeking Funky Wardrobe Doors

sid

Had a browse around at other posts on Wardrobes but still haven't found suggestions of places (that I haven't yet tried!) where I might find what I'm looking for...

Kitchen World have recently started doing these wardrobe doors(http://www.kitchenworld.ie/wardrobes-wenge.htm) & I consider them to be pretty funky - I really like the inch or so wide recessed vertical strip that goes down one side of the door (just one side). They're a little different - a step up on the completely plain panel doors available in most places without being "in your face"/fussy.

Anywhere else I've checked out (Cash & Carry, Panelling Centre, ABAK in Walkinstown, and various other places) just seem to have
  • plain slab doors,
  • ones with panels or
  • ones with a vertical line down both sides of the door
None of what I've seen to date jumped out at me except this one. The reason I can't really go with Kitchen World is 'cos their wardrobes are only 550mm deep & I really need 600mm deep ones (I'll be building a wardrobe around a hot water cylinder and extending down from there with more storage). I could go with KW and pad-out from behind with battens so the front comes out to 600mm (they've a gable deep enough for this) but it does seem like a waste of storage space & a bit more hassle then I want when 600mm is standard in a lot of other places.

Now that I've see this particular door & know it exists, I want it! I feel like a spoilt child!! Had I not seen them I guess I'd just have settled for more boring ones and not known any better... Was considering ivory shaker panelled doors (least fussy of the panelled ones) as plain ivory just seemed too plain. I kinda have to go ivory as the room is so small that an expanse of timber effect would close the room in.

I looked at the www.bedroomelegance.com/ link that's suggested in another wardrobe thread but I'm not seeing much that grabs my fancy there either. They may have a wider range in stock so could be worth a visit.

Given that this seems to be a new door only recently available, I may find it in a few other places but I'm still looking... Anyone got suggestions of other places to try??

Thanks

Sid

i think if you find a good joiner and take magazines and or sketches to him you can get him to do pretty much what you want.

we've done that and were very happy with the work, we had a similar situation where we had to fit out around awkward chimney breast and curved wall...

would recommend paying an extra few quid and going for a really good joinr as it will be worth it in the long run.

Hi Sid, and welcome to AAM. Have you asked Kitchen World if they'll supply the doors only? You could then get 600mm carcases elsewhere.
Leo

Thanks for the responses...

Re.
Have you look at www.in-house.ie, they have a very good selection of wardrobes.
Yeah, I've been there (I live in Dublin 12 so am close to In House (Panelling Centre), Cash & Carry & Kitchen World. They've some nice enough stuff - it's just that these ones at KW jumped out at me in a way that none of the others I've seen did & I was hoping that some other places might do that exact door - I mean there can't be too many suppliers of kitchen doors in the country, can there?

Re.
Have you asked Kitchen World if they'll supply the doors only?
Yup, I emailed them about this but the party line is
No, sorry we don't sell the doors on their own. It's a complete unit with doors and carcase

I find this hard to understand - isn't a partial sale better than none at all?? I could try asking them if they can tell me who supplies the doors. Doubt they'd be too willing to disclose.

Re.
i think if you find a good joiner and take magazines and or sketches to him you can get him to do pretty much what you want.

I'd definitely agree with you - any of the places that "only do what they do" have their limitations when you're gaff's just a little bit different as invariably proves to be the case!! It's the finding of the joiner that'd be the hard part!! If I was trying to do this "down home" there'd always be someone who could recommend a competent & reliable joiner to me. I'm not from Dublin & the careful side in me tends not to trust pulling names at random from the Golden Pages. In order to get a feel for how competent someone's gonna be it seems as though you nearly need to know how to do the job yourself in order to ask the right questions & if that's the case you might as well do it yourself!! And there'll always be the ones that pull the wool over your eyes too.

I'm also looking to get a kitchen done & find that C&C, KW etc. are too limited in widths of cabinets/doors that they have so I couldn't arrive at a configuration that will suit my particular constraints & make the best use of the limited space I've got. I've also had a few tall tales from a couple of the places that I got quotes off (note - not any mentioned in this post!).

Back