Security Cameras in an Apartment Complex

Annakay

Hi,
We are a self managed apartment complex. Very small number of units. One of the owners who lives there, wants to install security cameras around the building. He would have access to the footage on his phone. He thinks this is fine. I'm not happy with him being able to view peoples' comings and goings live on his phone. I think it's an invasion of privacy to say the least. Can anyone advise on the law concerning this or give any help as to how to deal with this situation. Many thanks..

See the DPC guidance on the domestic use of CCTV.

In a multi-unit apartment complex no one owner can install CCTV covering common areas.

The management company board would need to approve it. Even a self managed complexe, you should have a board, right? And they shouldn't approved it in its current proposal. I would think that CCTV would need a proper Data Protection Policy behind it first and a trusted 3rd party should only have access to the CCTV footage with footage reviews available on request by Board Agreement only for specific reason. Your policy could go so far to say CCTV can only be reviewed by formal request from the Gardai.

No resident should have access, use a trusted 3rd party. Unfortunately this is how it gets expensive.

See the DPC guidance on the domestic use of CCTV.

In a multi-unit apartment complex no one owner can install CCTV covering common areas.
I don't believe this would fall under domestic use. Common areas fall under the management company.

I don't think he wants to install them on his own property with them leaking onto common areas. Sounds like he wants to install them in the common areas so therefore not domestic. Maybe the original poster can clarify. Either way it's a no no

I don't believe this would fall under domestic use. Common areas fall under the management company.

I don't think he wants to install them on his own property with them leaking onto common areas. Sounds like he wants to install them in the common areas so therefore not domestic. Maybe the original poster can clarify. Either way it's a no no
Yeah, I wasn't really clear there. Where I was coming from is the person proposing this likely thinks they can install systems for personal / domestic use without the data protections restrictions applying. The guidance should make it clear what they're proposing won't fall under those exemptions

The external walls and all common area infrastructure are the property of the management company, no individual can install anything without permission.

I'm not happy with him being able to view peoples' comings and goings live on his phone. I think it's an invasion of privacy to say the least.
Before researching the law etc. why don't you just tell him that?

They wanted to do this in our apartment complex carpark after several breakins and general troublemaking.

The directors were having none of it - we would be responsible for data storage, backup storage and importantly security of both. GDPR was quoted (rightly or wrongly here) as being the main problem.

Back