security alarm/ burglers alarm

gayathri

hi guys we need advice to buy an alarm system at our new house. our house is near to the main road where there are large volume of traffic. help us to buy a safe sytem for a better price. brandnames and sellers name are welcome

Not knowing where in Ireland you are makes giving recommendations difficult. If you have pets/children that roam around at night, infa red detection isn't your best option. I used a local crowd, having had my first fix done during building, and paid €900 for sensors on 2 doors and 11 windows - the system I have can also be connected to any number on phones to call you when your alarm goes off, (very handy!)

Sorry don't know any security firms up in yr part of the country, sorry. Maybe Eircom phone watch? Or have a word with yr neighbours, for a recommendation?

Is there a lot of crime in your area? Have you spoken to the guards to get realistic burglary figures?

I have an alarm system, but to be honest if I was moving, I wouldn't bother anymore. It's not a deterrent to burglars, as far as I can see. Alarms go off constantly in my area because the owners don't bother maintaining them (not because of burglaries) and they're more a of a nuisance than anything else.

Same here. 11 years in the same place and no alarm. Alarms go off all the time and people don't bat an eyelid. Prevailing logic is that lack of an alarm marks the house out as an opportunistic possibility for burglars but I'm not so sure. The place is physically secured pretty well but seeing that we have no real irreplaceable valuables in the house we will continue to do without the alarm.

There are several existing threads on house alarms including this key topic which might be worth checking.

House alarm

There is a lot of old and bad information under this "Key Topic" thread. Firstly alarm installers now need to be licenced, new legislation is that it is illegal to install intruder alarms without a licence and illegal to use an unlicenced installer. Taking a discount from your home insurer for having an intruder alarm gives them an interest in your alarm and worryingly gives them the right to refuse a claim if you suffers a loss and the alarm in not in operation while you are not at home. You are not obliged by your insurer to have the alarm on while your home is occupied. Lastly. many alarm companies will offer substantial discounts on both installation and 1st years monitoring if you do go for the monitored option but subsequent years monitoring may be expensive, the monitoring company will only telephone you and once they have done so the alarm activation becomes your responsibility, they only call the Gardai if they cannot get in touch with one of the 3 keyholders you have to give them contact details for, or if the alarm activation is caused by a panic button. The option I have is a text digi which sends a text message to me and up to 15 others at once, giving me the opportunity to have the situation checked out. No annual cost here, just the price of a text. BTW all land lines are now text message capable.

There is a lot of old and bad information under this "Key Topic" thread. Firstly alarm installers now need to be licenced, new legislation is that it is illegal to install intruder alarms without a licence and illegal to use an unlicenced installer.

Not 100% accurate, as covered a number of times here already. Only installations carried out for remuneration are covered under the [broken link removed], so DIYers are still OK.
Leo

GCS Alarms Newbridge
MAC Alarms Newbridge
Whorskey Alarms Newbridge
or me Kildare Town (not too sure if I can give my details here.

Not 100% accurate, as covered a number of times here already. Only installations carried out for remuneration are covered under the [broken link removed], so DIYers are still OK.
Leo
In fairness Leo, the original poster was NOT asking his mate to fit an alarm for him, he was looking for details of a reputable, reliable company that someone on here would recommend and almost certainly would have expected remuneration. In light of that PSA legislation does apply. Being pedantic is a passion of mine too. By the way I disagree with the legislation, I am an electrician who has been affected by it. Looking forward to see if they can sucessfully prosecute someone under it.

Hello,

We just had an alarm fitted in Newbridge area by Dunne Electrical. Found them very good, fairly priced, efficient in their dealings. Alarm on 4 bed detached house with up to 20 windows and 3 doors, price €750

If you want contact details, please PM me.

Hello,

We just had an alarm fitted in Newbridge area by Dunne Electrical. Found them very good, fairly priced, efficient in their dealings. Alarm on 4 bed detached house with up to 20 windows and 3 doors, price €750

If you want contact details, please PM me.

This seems like a very cheap price, but you don't say what equipment or what level of cover was provided. PIRs? Shock sensors? Magnetic contacts on window openings? A price is just a number unless you are comparing like with like.

GCS Alarms Newbridge
MAC Alarms Newbridge
Whorskey Alarms Newbridge
or me Kildare Town (not too sure if I can give my details here.

Be carefull... There are fines for both the installer & the customer for using unlicenced installers.Some of those arn't listed as registered by the PSA [broken link removed]
Neither is Dunne Electrical

In fairness Leo, the original poster was NOT asking his mate to fit an alarm for him, he was looking for details of a reputable, reliable company that someone on here would recommend and almost certainly would have expected remuneration. In light of that PSA legislation does apply. Being pedantic is a passion of mine too. By the way I disagree with the legislation, I am an electrician who has been affected by it. Looking forward to see if they can sucessfully prosecute someone under it.

Hi Mikeyb, I realaise that, I was responding directly to your "it is illegal to install intruder alarms without a licence" quote.

I have no connection with the business, and also don't like the legislation. The only affect I can see it has had is to push up prices due to drastically reducing competition in the market and the licensing fees involved.
Leo

I am lead to believe that 2 well known companies (who are registered with PSA) are challenging the legality and standing of the PSA at the moment as they have not implimented the regulations as yet...

I am lead to believe that 2 well known companies (who are registered with PSA) are challenging the legality and standing of the PSA at the moment as they have not implimented the regulations as yet...

The Regulations are implemented.... Check the [broken link removed] for information on convictions already secured.

The Minister further noted that the mandatory date for licensing of operators in the alarm installation and monitoring sectors is 1st August 2006. He said he hoped companies in those sectors would exceed the rate of compliance already achieved and urged them to submit their applications to the PSA in advance of 1st August in order to be in a position to legally operate beyond that date.

A quote from [broken link removed]

The Regulations are implemented.... Check the [broken link removed] for information on convictions already secured.

The Minister further noted that the mandatory date for licensing of operators in the alarm installation and monitoring sectors is 1st August 2006. He said he hoped companies in those sectors would exceed the rate of compliance already achieved and urged them to submit their applications to the PSA in advance of 1st August in order to be in a position to legally operate beyond that date.

A quote from [broken link removed]

I am aware of this.but I do know of two companies taking this further as it has not been introduced to the wholesale side of the industry as promised by the PSA. It's because Joe Public can still walk in off the steert and buy an alarm and as you are aware this was also to be stopped. Its typical of this country the close only 1 gate in a field with 3 gates.

Back