Securing Oak Mantle and Varnish options

sullyman

Hi Folks,

We are getting an Oak piece of wood for a fireplace mantle 2.1m long, 255mm wide and 3" thick.

It will sit on the top row of bricks of the fireplace. Can anyone tell me what's the best way to firmly secure this to the bricks. GripFill ?

Also, what would be the best Varnish to use for the oak after sanding?

Many thanks,
S

Hi, we used three iron rods, one at each end and one in the middle, bored into the timber beam and then into the concrete. Then put Super tak a high strength gel along the length of the beam. The beam has not moved yet.

Optimistic

Thanks for reply.

Where would i get such iron rods and how did you fill the hole where the rods went through

I just cut the head off 4/5 inch bolts and filled the hole with the Super Tak mentioned above. The holes for the rods are only bored half the length of the bolt as the other half is in the wall. All the best. I sent you a pm a couple of days back re varnish. Hope it helps. All the best. Optimistic

You can get these rods (or threaded bars) in most builder providers or diy shops. Drill a hole slightly larger than the rod in the wall and set these in place using grip fill or similar. Drill corresponding holes in the beam, and use a two part epoxy resin, or even the grip fill to secure in place.

You'll need to prop the beam in place while the adhesive sets. Accuracy will be important here, so perhaps use a template to mark the locations of the holes on the wall and beam.

Just using grip fill would leave the joint very dependant on the quality of the surface to which you're bonding. If it's a plastered finish, the weight may end up taking the top layer of plaster off.
Leo

I think the solution offered is very sound- effectively steel dowels prevent lateral movement while adhesive and weight prevent "uplift" so to speak. I've done similar stuff using steel rebar and even 6" round wire nails. In the past (before gripfill etc) the mason would most likely have built in small timber grounds or wedges into the brickwork to take a countersunk nail or screw afterwards. The head would then be concealed by a matching timber pellet.

Anyone know a good Carpenter that can cut and secure an oak mantle to fireplace. The wood arrived from Coillte and looks good according to the missus but it will have to be cut to size etc. In Cork area

If you mean one of those Mouse things, then not even close I'm afraid.
Leo

Arrived home tonight and found the Oak beams i ordered from Coillte. The two of them are about 2.3m long/ 255mm deep and 3" in height. One of them looks fine but the second one has deep cracks running all the way through it.

Coillte advised that this would happen over time as the wood dries out but to be honest i didn't expect that much cracks and deep too as i thought.

Is this normal for all Oak? Can the Oak be treated to prevent it cracking as much.

I'm thinking of sending it back