secure sale

hopalong

hi all,any advise on the most secure way of receiving payment when i sell my car,i dont think a cheque is any good,and i,ve even heard bank drafts can be stolen or bogus,do you think i should hold on to my car till the bank draft or cheque clears,and then hand over the car.thanks for any replies.

Cash and only cash.

Wait with buyer at the bank for cash to be accepted by your bank over the counter, hand over keys. Simple.

Lots of thread on this already, try searching.

i dont think its reasonable for someone to walk around with over 20000 euros in their pocket,(although i,ll gladly accept it),are there other ways of secure payement?

bank transfer into your account ??? drafts are not safe as i have also heard of them being forged etc

bank transfer sounds good,the buyer would transfer monies due to my account and when it clears i release the car,correct?just thinking,is there any problem giving my account details.

i dont think its reasonable for someone to walk around with over 20000 euros in their pocket,(although i,ll gladly accept it),are there other ways of secure payement?

In future when your posting can you give us a heads up on the options you already have ruled out and don't think are 'reasonable' it will save people like myself who are trying to be helpful some time.

Are you still looking for the 'most secure' or just 'other ways of secure' payment?

bluetonic,i find your replies unhelpful,and would ask you to move on to other threads.

bluetonic,i find your replies unhelpful,and would ask you to move on to other threads.

What was unhelpful about my replies?

You appear to be looking for a specific answer, you asked for the most secure payment method in your original question and I responded same.

It's a public forum of which I have membership and I would deem my answer totally vailid.

I hope this helps.

Handling lots of cash is a risk for both buyer and seller.

last time I sold a valuable car I took a draft, having firstly confirmed with the issuing bank its authenticity.

last time I sold a valuable car I took a draft, having firstly confirmed with the issuing bank its authenticity.

Just out of interest, how did you do this? Just rang the issuing bank and asked?

hi all,any advise on the most secure way of receiving payment when i sell my car,i dont think a cheque is any good,and i,ve even heard bank drafts can be stolen or bogus,do you think i should hold on to my car till the bank draft or cheque clears,and then hand over the car.thanks for any replies.

Whatever the non-cash method of payment is, if you wait until it clears in your account there shouldn't be anything to be concerned about anyway.

It's what I've done in the past - a few eyebrows raised ("Ahh do you not trust me?" etc) but it has never interfered with the sale. If your buyer is geniune, they should understand.

Take the draft, both of ye lodge it into the bank, just dont post off the registration form until the money clears. That way if it bounces, then report the car stolen with the buyers details you would have got from conversing over the sale?

Back