Secure holiday payment options

DACMAN

Hi,
I've located a villa on the owners-direct website that I'd like to book for summer hols, got in touch with the people renting this out (UK owner Property in Portugal) & the terms are 10% booking fee + balance 6 weeks prior to arrival - the payment method is cheque.
My Q - is there any means whereby I can insure against fraud? Let me add I don't suspect anything untoward with the owners, I've telephoned & got a good feeling from the people involved but nonetheless I'd appreciate if anyone had a similar transaction in the past & how it was handled.

The chances are your situation is completely above board. However, there is a minute chance that you are being conned, but the chance is negligible. You cannot guard against this paying 6 weeks in advance (a trifle cavalier by the apartment owner, I think).

Furthermore, you are doing business with a person living in the UK whom you may never meet. Remember, the apartment owner is also trusting you. What is stopping you from stripping or wrecking the apartment?

It comes down to goodwill and trust. It works both ways.

I use holidaysrentals uk a fair bit. but today when agreeing to rent an apartment in albufeira in summer the owner wants me to ring him with credit card details. this never happened before as they usually use iban. (one one occasion the owner agreed that I would pay cash on arrival, but suspect thats unusual). this party has lots of apartments for rental and lots of testimonials from satisfied customers so I don't doubt hes genuine but nonetheless I have reservations about passing on my cc details. I accept that he won't be able to access the chip and pin number but still very wary.

I have rented apartments through www.holiday-rentals.co.uk. In my case I was asked to transfer a deposit direct in to the owners bank account and pay the balance in cash when I got there. An apartment I am renting shortly was done slightly different. The owner wanted a sterling draft to be posted to her home and the balance paid on arrival. Rather than send a cheque by post I asked for details of her bank account. She gave me this no problem and I sent off the deposit.
I certainly feel safer transferring funds to a bank account than posting a cheque.

something new to me anyway. owner has given me two options to make payment. one is by cc and there is a 3% surcharge on this. no big deal for the deposit but for the remaining balance he has supplied bank details but not an iban number. using a bank transfer system (bacs)as I reside 12 miles from newry and I assume I can use any bank in newry to transfer the balance later in the year. So far with holidays rentals I have now used three different methods of payment to three different owners.

Back