Secrets of Longevity

G

Guest105

Walter Breuning, the oldest man in the world died in Montana, USA a few days ago after reaching the grand old age of 114 years.

I don’t think his longevity can be put down to genetics as both his parents passed away when they were just 46 and 50 years old.

He worked until he was 99 and he outlived his wife by 53 years.

I think his story is quite fascinating.

Breuning himself credits his longevity to the following few facts:

• Embrace change, even when the change slaps you in the face. ("Every change is good.")
  • Eat two meals a day ("That's all you need.")
  • Work as long as you can ("That money's going to come in handy.")
  • Help others ("The more you do for others, the better shape you're in.")
  • Then there's the hardest part. It's a lesson Breuning said he learned from his grandfather: Accept death.
I do all of the above apart from the last one which I think about from time to time but don’t dwell on too much, however, I hope I am still in with a chance of a long life:)

What do other aam’s think about his views, is there any merit in them?

I think, unless something horrid is planning to take you out the secret of a long life is our own attitude.

My granny went into her 90's with a great attitude and a serious case of hypochondria so she perhaps isn't a great example but we used to say she would outlive us all as she was actually fighting fit right to the end.

I plan to keep going as long as I can and see no reason why I shouldn't. The online calculators say I'll live to 86 so if I managed to finally quit smoking I could last a bit longer!

Accept death? yes, accept it will happen but don't dwell on it, when my times comes, either physically or mentally I hope I'm ready.

All the people who last longer do seem to have lived simpler lives involving easy attitudes and no serious over indulgence. Something to ponder I think but not get too worked out about. When our time comes, it comes...I just don't want mine to come until I've at least doubled my current age!

Avoid stress.

I know it sounds a bit 'long haired hippy touchy feely' but I truly believe stress is the biggest killer of humans. Usually indirectly by putting us into a position where we get various illnesses or diseases that kill us.

And exercise regularly.

Get a good nights sleep on a regular basis. I used to have a rule whereby at least once per week (usually at the weekend), I would sleep as long as it took to eliminate all tiredness. There's nothing worse than carrying tiredness and sleep debt from one week to the next. Hard to do nowdays with young kids, and I notice the difference, but I intend to reinstate the rule as soon as the kids get a bit older.

Back