Second time buyer - Advice please.

cms

Myself and my partner bought our apartment two years ago and are now thinking of selling up and buying a house. I got loads of advice as a first time buyer and everything went smoothly so now I'd like to get some advice on what I need to consider when selling and moving on.

Our original mortgage was for €264K of which €250K is outstanding now. Going on recent sales in the block our apartment is now worth €350K so I guess that means we're left with €100K if we sell. I've heard of capital gains tax but don't know anything about it and I imagine we don't get to keep all of that €100K.

My questions are:

How much capital gains tax do we have to pay?

Are there any other taxes/charges we need to consider when selling and buying a new place (other than stamp duty on the new place)?

Does a solicitor charge more when both selling and buying a place? When we bought before we were only buying so I guess it's going to cost more this time.

How much does the average estate agent charge to sell a place, and is it possible/realistic to sell your own place?

Do we have to wait until the sale is finalised on the apartment before we put an offer on a house? We don't have the deposit in cash, we're relying on the proceeds of the apartment.

Any advice would be great!
Thanks.

No capital gains tax if you have been living there.

Stamp duty on new place will only occur if it's second hand - consider a new build. Your mortgage if over 254k ( I think this is the figure ) will be liable for stamp duty on the mortgage deed of .1% )

Solicitors will charge more but it should not be double as you can haggle with them over having two transactions.

Most estate agents are 1.25% of the sale price. There are websites to help sell yourself but I have no personal experience so won't comment.

The last one is tricky but you will generally need some sort of deposit be it a new or second hand purchase. If you have no money until the sale goes through then you will have to wait but you will find yourself in limbo and might have to move out of your own place while looking elsewhere. Consider a bridging loan or personal loan to cover the deposit if you don't fancy this.

Thanks for that, it really helped. I presumed the government would be hitting us for capital gains tax but I guess that's only on investment properties.

Just one more question, you mentioned if the mortgage if over 254k it will be liable for stamp duty on the mortgage deed of .1%. So if I were to buy a second hand home worth over €381K, would I have to pay stamp duty of 7.5% PLUS stamp duty on the mortgage of 0.1%?

Thanks.

Back