Second phone socket not working

RonanL

Hi everyone.

I just moved into a house that had never had a landline phone activated. I signed up with eircom and they hooked it up pretty quickly. However, I'm just after noticing that the socket in the bedroom doesn't work. Anyone know how I would go about sorting it out? I've asked a couple of neighbours and they have the same problem. Most don't care because they have cordless phones.

cheers!

Ronan

Had this problem too. The second phone socket was not connected at the Eircom box at the side of the house. Got an electrician friend of mine to connect it. Simple job (for him), just three wires I think.

Thanks Bricktop. I'll have a scout around and see if I can find the box. Then all I need to do is make friends with an electrician!!

The disconnect might also be within the working phone socket - take the face off that add see if there is an additional phone cable not connected to the incoming line.

Apologies for abandoning my question for a while.

"The disconnect might also be within the working phone socket - take the face off that add see if there is an additional phone cable not connected to the incoming line." => Just to clarify, are you saying I should try taking off the socket that's working (in my sitting room), and seeing if there is something disconnected there?

You need to check that the second socket is connected to the Eircom line, the usual way this is achieved is by wiring to the main socket. So open the cover and check it there is more than one cable feeding into it.
Leo

Open the socket in the bedroom, there should be two pairs of wires normally, a blue & blue white pair and an orange, orange white pair. The exact colours are not important.
Make sure one of the pairs is connected to the socket in the bedroom, if it isn't strip off the insulation and make the connection to the socket.

Go to the main socket and open it carefully, see if there is a pair connected to anything other than the socket for the main phone, this other pair should be going upstairs. Chances are that the sparks never connected the top or bottom pair or connected the wrong pair.

Thanks lads. As you suspected, the wires from the bedroom weren't hooked into the main socket in the sitting room. Its working perfectly now.

Thanks again!