Second hand Communion dresses

This is funny given that I had a conversation at lunch about it yesterday. I made my communion in the late 70's and thirty later myself and my sister were reminiscing one night about making our communion, going to Bhs cafeteria and Hector Greys to buy rubbish, etc. Her communion dress was bought in hamills, I think they were in Capel Street and I said mine was bought in the Communion dress shop on whatever street. That was not a communion dress shop, she said, it was a second hand shop. All those years later and I had not got a clue.

I told my mam I was going to be traumatised following the discovery.

I made my communion in 1990 I wore the dress my sister wore and there wasn't a bother about that. The only thing was my stupid sister scuffed her lovely white communion shoes on the day of her communion so my mother insisted I got black ones. Christening gowns wise, my little girl was christened in the same gown as my granny, my mother my aunts and uncles, my cousins and me and my sisters.

My wife did the same for our 2 children. She has kept the christening gown so that in 20 to 30 years it could be used for any grandchildren.
We have a family christening gown that has been used by four generations already.

Just to reply to earlier poster- Ney001 - Oxfam in South Great George's St take in wedding dresses to resell.