Second hand Communion dresses

liaconn

Just out of curiosity, how many of you would buy your daughter a second hand Communion dress? I was walking past a charity shop in Rathmines yesterday and they had beautiful, pristine clean dresses hanging in the window. I just thought if I had a child making Communion and was on a tight budget I would be very tempted to get one of those instead of spending a fortune on a new dress.

I dont have children but if I did I would have no problems buying a second hand dress. Its only worn for one day.

I feel the same way about wedding dresses - I didnt have a white wedding myself, but if I had, I would have looked into second hand dresses.

As it was my non traditional wedding dress cost me 200 euro and I would definitely be able to wear it again to an event.

My nephew is making his Communion in May and several friends have offered my sister in law their kids' secondhand, only worn once outfits for him. So far she has refused because they all have younger brothers coming up behind them and she is terrified her son will spill stuff on the outfit or tear it, rendering them unwearable for anyone else. She said if someone without younger children offers her one she will seriously consider taking it.

Well, considering he won't even come upstairs with me in Hamley's because it's all 'Girls stuff' I doubt it.

I would say about 80% of my childrens clothes are secondhand. I have a big family who regularly send clothes their children have grown out of. So I already have a communion dress stored for my two girls for when they make their communion. I don't see any issue with it.

Vanilla might say this is the accountant in me coming out but my OH's wedding dress got 4 outings :-
- wedding
- taken down ( but left with long end so could be made up again ) & made in to christening robe , used for both kids
- taken back up and used as communion dress for our daughter.
Was quite a talking point at the time among family / friends who all thought it great idea and our daughter enjoyed wearing her Mum's wedding dress on her communion.

Will you be able to patch it all back together again when one of your daughters gets married?

Actually, I think it was a lovely way to use the dress.

Lovely idea. I would probably do the same if I needed to. As it was we were given the loan of one christening gown from a friend and the other was from my husbands family- a very old one. And the communion dress is all sorted. So I have my wedding dress in storage in case it might be needed...

Good for you.

When I was growing up (80s) I regularly got second hand clothes and regularly provided them throughout our extended family.

As far as I can see these days you are in the minority Vanilla - many people wouldn't dream of this any more. Labels, competition, slagging etc, sad but a fact a lot of the time.

I have a wedding dress that I want to get rid of - does anyway know of a charity shop that I can leave it in to - I know there was one in Dublin city but not sure if it's still around.

Me too ( except it was the 70s...).

Wow - you reached full maturity and stopped growing up in 1979? That's amazing.

Personally, I still developed just a little through my tween and teen years in the 80s.

- taken down ( but left with long end so could be made up again ) & made in to christening robe , used for both kids

My wife did the same for our 2 children. She has kept the christening gown so that in 20 to 30 years it could be used for any grandchildren.
Talk about thinking ahead!

Wow - you reached full maturity and stopped growing up in 1979? That's amazing.

Personally, I still developed just a little through my tween and teen years in the 80s.

Oh yeah, forgot about that. But the hand-me-downs were mainly confined to the 70s though, my parents could only get away with making me wear my older brothers clothes until I reached the tweenies, and then I was already taller than my big sister so they started actually having to buy me clothes around the start of the 80s anyway.