Second hand car - Number of previous owners

Mourinho

Looking at buying a second hand car from a garage - its a 2005 but has 3 previous owners, I would be the 4th owner.

I am a little but concerned about this - Would this cause other people concern or am I being too cautious?

If / when i go to sell it in say 2 years, the next purchaser would be the 5th owner, surely that would impact resale value...

Thx for any opinions...

Could ask the garage alright I guess and see what they say - would they provide that info though (data protection and all that)?

Hi
Can't you see the last registered owner on the VRC? Would the garage have any problem with you seeing that?
Also isn't it possible that the first registered owner could have been the garage that had it initially? Making it one less owner, as such.

Nicola
PS I'd be cautious too if it had 3 previous owners, and it's just over 3 years old

Also isn't it possible that the first registered owner could have been the garage that had it initially?...
Not unless the garage had it as a demo car. This is the only way that garages appear as registered car-owners.

if one owner, changed address/ house , then it shows up as another owner aswell,,

if the car is good, its good,,,,,,,,,,,,

Thanks for the comments interesting - aside from the issue I raised the car is good, ticks all the other boxes and then some.

And if it's bad, it's horrid!!!
You probably need to check it out further, and if you're buying it, make sure to get it independently checked out first, by someone who knows about cars..
Nicola
PS am not suggesting that you don't however, Mourinho!

I guess had hadnt thought of getting it checked - its from a "reputable" garage / one everyone would have heard off and has a 12 mth warranty which gives comfort i guess. I think the car itself is fine, just worried about the resale with that # of owners i guess.

The day you buy a car is the day you sell it!

You're spot on with that!
By the by, the AA check out cars, for a HUGE cost though.But perhaps worth it if expensive car.
I got my previous car fully inspected by a mechanic, before buying it, and had nothing but trouble with it (from the day the warranty was up, however!), so checking cars out doesn't always keep you from getting a dud!!
Nicola