Second Electric Shower.

islanderre

Hello Folks,

Live in a 4 bed Semi and am strongly considering fitting an electric shower in the main bathroom. As i have a Power / electric shower in the En suite ( MIRA Elite 2 ), is there any issues associated with doing this and would anyone recommend a modal to fit.

Thanks.

As far as i am aware you cannot run both at the same time as the current used is high and may burn your wiring.

As bakerbhoy states above, its not possible to run both - unless you have an 'enhanced electricity supply'. It is not possible to get this retrospectively. I have two electric showers with a switch in the main fuse board that prevents both running at the same time - giving priority to one of them.

We have one electric shower and one pump shower i.e the pump one just pumps the water at decent presure but uses the normal hot water - thus we can have 2 decent showers - I'd say thats what most people do

Toby has it in one. We have the same system and it works perfectly. Just ask your plumber!!

Great stuff folks, thanks for the replies and guidence.
I will think over it and probably go with the 2nd electric shower and the switch that only allows one run at a time.

Thanks again for the guidence.

Our clever electrician installed a small light which sat by our electric shower. This lit up when the 2nd shower cord is pulled so we didn't accidentally cut them off in mid-stream! There was a little notice in the 2nd shower room reminding them to pull the off-cord after use. This worked fine. We've now installed pump showers (as well) to save energy and because our solar panels provide endless hot water.

you can buy a unit that sits beside the fuse board it has 2 contactors in it and you can wire 2 electric showers from it,when one shower is being used it doesn't allow the other shower to take electricity,this is the only safe and within regs way to run 2 electric showers.

hi mct1, i notice you say you have loads of hot water from solar panels. would you recommend them ? i am planning to install 2 of them on new build ? would be grateful to hear your views please and is the water really hot enough for a proper hot shower not a tepid one !
regards, lorna

Just a quick reply as I don't want to hijack this thread. Even with our lousy summer, we've rarely had to heat our water since the end of April and less than usual in the winter. We have 3 vacuum tube panels and at the moment they definitely provide plenty of hot water for the 2 of us all day. As we use it up they just make more!

that's great mct1, music to my ears and purse ! looks like we will install these definitely. will look into what is available in the midlands when i go over to ireland for 3 weeks in august.