Second Car Hatchback Options

Runner1

Hi,

Currently we have a 132 plate Qashqai and a 07 Fiesta. OH only has a 5km commute to work so uses the Fiesta at the moment. Expecting our first baby in June so OH will use the Qashqai. Looking to trade in the Fiesta for something more modern and safe. Only has 40,000 miles on the clock and was offered 3k on a trade in last week against a 2014 A Class. The Merc was nice to drive but boot just wouldn’t fit a buggy!! Looking at other hatchbacks such as a Golf or Hyundai i30. I do about 200km a week commuting and then occasional other trips. Any recommendations for a first time dad to be on what would be a good fit? Budget is approx 12k plus the Fiesta. Any tips welcomed!

Forgot to also ask, with the level of mileage, should I be going for petrol or diesel?

petrol all the way

your budget is plenty big enough , i like the focus , rate it ahead of the golf and considerably better value second hand

Last edited:
Just a tip - you might be better off selling the fiesta privately and do a straight cash buy from a garage. The garages don't really want a car like that, and will end up selling it at auction or on to the trade.

We had an Astra hatchback that served us well with 2 little ones. Solid on the road for a smaller car. The i30 is very similar in size, and interior space.

Don't look past the Toyota Auris, although probably more popular in 1.4 diesel which would be fine for your commute.

If the OH is used to the fiesta, have a look at the Peugeot 2008, and you bond into the Qashqai. You might even get a 2016 plate for your budget with negotiation! Similar footprint to fiesta, so easy to park, but it's higher up so easier for lifting babies / buggies in and out.

There's lots of choice out there in you budget.

Thanks for the reply. Yes selling privately would probably get a bit more for it. Another dealer only offered 1750 on trade in. Most similar age on Carzone are 3-4K which is why I’d be happy with the 3k trade in (save the hassle of possibly being without a car for a period of time). Had a Peugeot 208 previously, promised I’d never buy a French car again after all the hassle it gave us!

There is almost too much choice! Will find an i30 to test drive in next week or so.

It's not that you'd get more selling private, but you'd negotiate a better cash price on buying. If a dealer tells you he's giving you 3k, you'd probably get 1k off the price so really only giving you 2k. You'll see some dealers advertising 2 prices which will give you an idea. I understand the value of convenience though.

I drove a rental i30 for a few days over Christmas, and was very happy with it. Very practical with 2 pre school kids in the back. Have a look at the different trim levels - being a rental I probably had one of the most basic, but there was a 'plastic' feel to a lot of the controls.

Just a tip - you might be better off selling the fiesta privately and do a straight cash buy from a garage. The garages don't really want a car like that, and will end up selling it at auction or on to the trade.

We had an Astra hatchback that served us well with 2 little ones. Solid on the road for a smaller car. The i30 is very similar in size, and interior space.

Don't look past the Toyota Auris, although probably more popular in 1.4 diesel which would be fine for your commute.

If the OH is used to the fiesta, have a look at the Peugeot 2008, and you bond into the Qashqai. You might even get a 2016 plate for your budget with negotiation! Similar footprint to fiesta, so easy to park, but it's higher up so easier for lifting babies / buggies in and out.

There's lots of choice out there in you budget.

be prepared to deal with a tonne of annoying texts asking if you will take 200 euro for it , selling a car pre 2008 is an awful pain , old cars have never been so cheap as they are today , car can be mechanically perfect and it still struggles to make a grand , if a garage will give you a grand , id take it

Thanks for the reply. Yes selling privately would probably get a bit more for it. Another dealer only offered 1750 on trade in. Most similar age on Carzone are 3-4K which is why I’d be happy with the 3k trade in (save the hassle of possibly being without a car for a period of time). Had a Peugeot 208 previously, promised I’d never buy a French car again after all the hassle it gave us!

There is almost too much choice! Will find an i30 to test drive in next week or so.

no way is a garage giving you 1700 in a trade , they are simply adding to what your buying to make it look like 1700

Wouldn't go near a Golf as anecdotal reliability is not great for the premium paid. i30 is an excellent car and I highly recommend it.

FWIW I don't think you'll get anywhere near 3K for an 07 Fiesta, either privately or from a dealer. As others have said an offer of 3K from a dealer will be a combination of an offer on the trade in plus a discount they're going offer on the new car purchase (which you will also get with a cash purchase). I think if you get more than 2K for an 07 Fiesta that is very good business. I know you're basing 3K on what you see on carzone but I doubt very much that many of these are selling at those prices.
As for what to go for next, Focus would be a good choice, great car in that range.

FWIW I don't think you'll get anywhere near 3K for an 07 Fiesta, either privately or from a dealer. As others have said an offer of 3K from a dealer will be a combination of an offer on the trade in plus a discount they're going offer on the new car purchase (which you will also get with a cash purchase). I think if you get more than 2K for an 07 Fiesta that is very good business. I know you're basing 3K on what you see on carzone but I doubt very much that many of these are selling at those prices.
As for what to go for next, Focus would be a good choice, great car in that range.

my mother bought a new car before xmas and has a 2005 focus for sale with low mileage , its mint , she cant even get a grand for it

my mother bought a new car before xmas and has a 2005 focus for sale with low mileage , its mint , she cant even get a grand for it
I sold a 9 year old Focus before and was happy to get just over 2K for it. An 11 year old Fiesta will probably sell for max 1.5K imho.

Back