Second Airport Terminal vs Dockland Airport

DirtyH2O

I've seen a lot of discussion about the second terminal since I returned to Ireland with various interested parties in the mix such as Mr O Leary, Private developers etc. - sounds like Bertie Bowl Two so far and I've wondered why the option to build a new airport in the Docklands area for short haul only flights was rejected. It seems to me in my ignorance that it would have been feasible enough with the shorter runway required, accessibility to city (Luas?) and minimal flyover problems and use the current remote one for mostly medium to long haul.

As if traffic on the quays isn't bad enough already...

Also, almost two mile runway required for 737s, plus taxi ways etc. Don't think there's the space.

They should put an airport somewhere like Mullingar or Athlone that is fairly central for us culchies and still not a million miles away from Dublin, has good public transport hubs (by Irish standards) etc. and isn't completely log-jammed with traffic (yet) like Dublin.

If they make a short link to the existing train tracks, they would have a direct aiport link to Dublin City Centre in an hour or so. It'd probably be quicker than a taxi from the existing one! It'd be cheaper to build, as land is cheaper. It could give a boost to areas that need it and feed industry locally, helping push on general "decentralisation" and moving some of the traffic out of Dublin.

Et Voila.

Rebecca

By the time the second terminal is completed, we will certainly need a third terminal. I could never understand why the second terminal was delayed while they argued over public vs. private. The simple answer was to build two, one public and one private!

I like the idea of a midlands airport. If Ryanair's Aer Lingus bid is rejected, perhaps O'Leary will consider other aviation investments that could give him a better return than deposits, such as building and running an airport!

Rebecca,

Your suggestion is of course a good one. But unless Fianna Fail can find a "friend of the party" with a bit of land in the region that can be bought at a multiple of the market value, I don't see it happening.

Perhaps they should ask the new Tainiste, he seems good at finding farmland that can be bought at excessive prices.

-Richard

Your cynicism is overwhelming you

If Bertie goes and Brian Cowan gets that gig and Mick O'Leary gets Aer Lingus, maybe they WILL have an airport on the Offaly/Westmeath border. Surely between the pair of them, they could rustle up a few willing farmers.

Rebecca

If Bertie goes and Brian Cowan gets that gig and Mick O'Leary gets Aer Lingus, maybe they WILL have an airport on the Offaly/Westmeath border. Surely between the pair of them, they could rustle up a few willing farmers.

Rebecca

Alternatively Mick could build it on his farm in Westmeath!

Eitherway Ryanairs new 'Dublin' airport 90mins from Dublin sounds about right

depending on the time of the day with traffic the airport we already have is 90 minutes from dublin