Seatbelts around waist and not shoulder>thoughts?

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=145793&d=1296428607

I also noticed on a Programme on TV3 that Nel mccafferty( on some show about driving from one place to another for charity)wasn't wearing a seat belt correctly,she had it around her waist but not her shoulders.

Its possible she has some medical condition that means she cant wear it around chest area - I remember years and years ago I found a wallet and there were contact details in it, I contacted the lady and she was very thankful for its return, in part because she had a doctors letter in there stating that she could not wear a seatbelt across her chest due to a mastectomy.

Thats very interesting.Thanks for that,I never knew their could be medical reasons.

But..but, dont think Gay Byrne has had a mastectomy :)

It can be very dangerous in an accident causing crush injuries; particularly in the case of children and teenagers. I think this is why all belts in the centre of the back seat now have a shoulder strap.

As I understand it (although I can't point to the evidence), wearing the shoulder strap of the belt beneath the arm is potentially lethal in the event of an accident, offering no restraint on the upper body but working like cheesewire on the parts of the body with which it is in contact.

I noticed this several times on The Apprentice where the candidates are travelling from one place to another in one of Bill's taxis.

Seat belts constantly choke me probably because I'm small and no amount adjusting them makes any difference. Have to constantly move them down but wouldn't risk just placing under arm. Even bought adjuster gadget some years ago but it was useless.

Saw a programme some years ago where they showed that the middle strap (not belt) in the back of cars can cause serious damage in an accident. One young boy was left wheelchair bound because of his injuries when wearing one.

Its probably open to debate if insurance companies could adjust personal injury payments for incorrectly worn belts.

Note todays Examiner, Our head of Irelands Road Safety Gay Byrne and Terry Wogan sitting in the back of a car with their seats belts on incorrectly.

Its possible she has some medical condition that means she cant wear it around chest area - I remember years and years ago I found a wallet and there were contact details in it, I contacted the lady and she was very thankful for its return, in part because she had a doctors letter in there stating that she could not wear a seatbelt across her chest due to a mastectomy.

Is there any basis in Law for this........or did she just get her doctor to write a note and is essentially chancing her arm (excuse the pun) that, if stopped by a Garda, the Garda will be fooled. Remember that seatbelts are for the safety of all, not just the driver and surely the safety will take precedence over medical issues?

Is there any basis in Law for this........or did she just get her doctor to write a note and is essentially chancing her arm (excuse the pun) that, if stopped by a Garda, the Garda will be fooled. Remember that seatbelts are for the safety of all, not just the driver and surely the safety will take precedence over medical issues?

I dont know csirl, it was years and years ago. I do remember the lady in question was a nun, and that the doctors letter was stamped with an official looking stamp and signed by someone other than the doctor but other than that Ive no idea. She couldnt drive herself, she was carrying this as a passenger. I found the wallet in a taxi she had occupied.

Btw - Im just mentioning the nun bit as hopefully she would be of good moral character and not just chancing her arm!

Note todays Examiner, Our head of Irelands Road Safety Gay Byrne and Terry Wogan sitting in the back of a car with their seats belts on incorrectly.

Here's the article online http://www.irishexaminer.com/irelan...ught-wearing-seatbelt-incorrectly-143899.html

"This was filmed months ago and in very cramped conditions. I have a tendency to hold onto the seatbelt — I don’t know why but that is just the way it is… We were in and out of the car several times going from the GPO in Dublin to a hotel in Ballsbridge.

"I think most people are smart enough to know that this was not a real-life situation."

That's right Gaybo, it was just like an episode of Peppa Pig :rolleyes:

Back