Seamus Mallon (RIP)

I was never a big fan of Seamus Mallon, he pursued his objectives by peaceful means, and he worked (sort of) to bring to bring others to peace. So far so good.

But what were the objectives which he wanted to achieve by peaceful means. He had no answer to that which I could see, that is why the SDLP lost out to SF in the North in my opinion. They had nothing to offer once the fighting stopped.

But surely they delivered on at least 50% of their objectives by helping to get the "fighting stopped"?

I was never a big fan of Seamus Mallon, he pursued his objectives by peaceful means, and he worked (sort of) to bring to bring others to peace. So far so good.

But what were the objectives which he wanted to achieve by peaceful means. He had no answer to that which I could see, that is why the SDLP lost out to SF in the North in my opinion. They had nothing to offer once the fighting stopped.
TBH cremeegg that's got to be up there with the "What have the Romans ever done for us" in terms of strange arguments!

Ceist Beag,

'Tis only January but you've just gone favourite for post of the year! Class. Mallon, himself, would approve!

The objective by peaceful means was a United Ireland and that was delivered by a democratic route to a United Ireland as enshrined in the GFA - that's why a 'Border Poll' is no mystery, its there in black and white (as compared to, for example, a 2nd Scottish Independence referendum).

As to why the SDLP lost out, the Irish & British governments spent their time obsessing over SF (understandable) but that handed the dynamic to SF. Probably a generational thing as well, both Hume & Mallon had age & health against them, the GFA was their crowing glory. In terms of what they did once the fighting stopped (briefly, while in power) was run the executive like it was meant to be run.

SF's DNA seems to attritional politics, nothing is done for the greater good, its all an equation of how much does this hurt my opponent or build my party. The St Andrews agreement concentrated more power in the 2 leading parties, and it must've been manna from heaven when the DUP came into the ascendancy, both sides could rally against "themuns" forevermore. SF as you'll recall had hallowed out the UUP with the endless dragging out over decommissioning. So SF can take the credit for the rise of DUP, and sure it suited them. The result being that, after the unlikely 'chuckle brothers' era, it was back to 2 parties for whom power sharing (esp with the other) is anathema. That's why its all petitions of concerns, picking up the ball and going home etc. It's only the prospect of an electoral kicking that got them back, but sure I wont hold my breath for a brave new world.

The hope is more within the gains of Alliance and SDLP that, at last, maybe some people are copping on that the sectarian headcount model is not serving the place well.

The objective by peaceful means was a United Ireland and that was delivered by a democratic route to a United Ireland as enshrined in the GFA - that's why a 'Border Poll' is no mystery, its there in black and white (as compared to, for example, a 2nd Scottish Independence referendum).

That’s fair enough, but I think for many people it is inconsistent with this.

In terms of what they did once the fighting stopped (briefly, while in power) was run the executive like it was meant to be run.

People in NI are always thinking about the constitutional question.

The SDLP got one community to put that aside for a while and focus on peace.

But no one in NI sees running an assembly and executive as being as important as resolving the constitutional question. They )both sides) would rather argue about an Irish Language Act with its slight constitutional overtones than health or tax.

I think that this will be back to haunt the assembly again before long.

Well I guess if the SDLP and Alliance (or even UUP) were there the focus would be on improving the place as it stands. The consitutional question is not going to move 1 millimeter until a Border Poll is called, and if there isnt a UI vote its on the back burner for another 7 years. So they really should be getting on the main business of "normal" politics. However with the 2 main parties as it stands that doesn't appear to be that dynamic, and if the voters are happy with that :rolleyes:, then fair enough, but really they should be demanding more, the did demand more in the European elections and I suspect they would be demanding more now except SF & DUP leaped back into power for fear of facing them.

Back